Will my Abdomen Fall with a Lipo or Will It Just Be Wrinkled?

I have loose skin and stretch marks after my kids. I'am 27 years old, 5'3 and weigh 166 pounds. I dont want a tummy tuck and I really want to better my shape. Im not planning to look like a Barbie doll but my concern is if my stomach can fall. I understand it getting wrinkled but I dont want it to hang. I have seeing alot of worse stomach than mine and they have had a great outcome. So will it hang loose or will it just wrinkle?

Will Liposuction Cause my Abdomen to Hang or Just Stay Wrinkled?

+3

If you have seen good results from lipo, good results in your opinion, on women who looked "worse" than you, then you have answered your own question, and you have said that you would be satisfied with the results.

Let's go into the question a little more generally for women who are wondering whether lipo alone will reduce the bulk that bothers them about their tummies, and don't care if they have whatever degree of wrinkling that goes along with it. These women may not want a tummy tuck, for whatever reason, although a tummy tuck will give the optimal result, in terms of removal of excess skin, fat, and abdominal wall tightening.

It is a given that when you have an abdomen with a lot of diet and exercise-resistant fat, that has been stretched out from having children, that after liposuction it will be wrinkly,  The question is whether or not it will hang over like a fold in the lower abdomen.

If you have had a C-section, the chances that it will hang over that fold go up, but probably the best way to tell is if it is hanging over to begin with.  If it is not, then in my experience, and particularly using the SmartlipoTriplex to heat and tighten the skin when the lipo is being done, the skin will shrink up and support itself without hanging over.

If it is hanging over in the first place, it is most likely, unless very minor, to hang over after liposuction.

We have many ladies who have a lot of bulk around the midriff, have trouble wearing clothes that they want, don't like the bulge when they sit down, who are perfectly happy with a Smartlipo assisted liposuction of the abdomen or all the way around the waist and flanks.  It takes several months to see the final results, but these patients are pleased with the result. This is because they had definite but limited expectations in the first place.  They did not want or expect the results of a tummy tuck.

This is the key when patients request liposuction of the abdomen. One must determine if the patient is a candidate for a tummy tuck, based on laxity, wrinkling and excess of skin, relaxation of the abdominal wall and excess of fat, and discuss what will and what will not be helped by only the liposuction component of a tummy tuck.  When fat is in excess in the abdomen, waist and flanks, liposuction is always done along with a tummy tuck.

If then, both doctor and patient are clear that they will be happy with the results of liposuction alone, and do not expect the kind of skin tightening that a tummy tuck provides, it is reasonable to proceed.

The patient seen in the link below could have had only liposuction with a satisfactory outcome, but would not has had as tight and slim a torso as achieved with the tummy tuck and liposuction

Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the abdomen ans laxity

+1

Everyone responds differently to liposuction. Many variables go into the resulting laxity inlcuding where you started and where you ended, how much laxity you started with, the quality of the skin, etc..

Lipo

+1

It is impossible to say anything without some photographs. If you already have loose hanging skin you will have more of the same

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Need photos

+1

To answer your question at least a photo (front, quarter turn and profile views) is needed; the best would be an in person examination.  Who ever you choose to go to make sure to have them show you before/after photos of patients like you had liposuction only to see if you would like the results, and also ask the office to get you in touch with two people who had the same procedure so you can speak to them and see them in person.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Loose Skin After Lipo

+1

Dear lseeyouybag12-

As the other plastic surgeons have mentioned, pictures would help with giving advice.  Often times when a patient such as yourself has what you are describing, I recommend Smart Lipo as a first line of treatment.  The skin -tightening you receive with the Smart Lipo is about 50% more than liposuction alone.  Sometimes this is enough to at least keep the skin from hanging down.  I would contact a local board-certified plastic surgeon to evaluate you for possible treatment.

Good Luck!

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Irregular or Hanging Skin after Abdominal Liposuction

+1

You have stated two important points about your abdominal liposuction concerns. First you do not want a tummy tuck and thus that leaves you only with liposuction as a treatment option. Secondly you are well aware of the skin contour problems when liposuction is done as a substitute for a tummy tuck. With loose skin, almost certainly there will irregularities or wrinkles. Loose hanging skin will generally result also if you have an abdominal overhang at your waistline prior to the procedure.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Abdominal liposuction and resulting skin appearance

+1

You are only 27. The expectation is That the skin has enough elasticity to tighten up after suctionning. Having said that there are the particulars of your extra weight and its distribution and the skin quality. Those issues will need to be properly evaluated during consultation.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Treatment of Loose Skin of Abdomen?

+1

Thank you for the question;  without pictures or direct examination it is not possible to give you precise advice. However, your description of “loose skin and stretch marks” after pregnancy do not bode well for any procedure other than tummy tuck surgery.  It is unlikely, despite your statement, that you will be pleased with “wrinkled skin” after undergoing any type of surgical procedure.

I would suggest in-person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Keep in mind, sometimes it is better to avoid any kind of surgery unless the  outcome is something that you will be very pleased with.

With a lot of loose skin in abdomen, liposuction alone will not work.

+1

Hi.

Hard to be specific without pictures, bit it sounds like you will be disappointed without a tummy tuck.  You will probably have a combination of hanging skin and wrinkled skin.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Loose Skin after Liposuction

+1

If you post pictures, I can give you a better idea.  If you have loose skin before liposuction and a significant amount is sucked out, you will have more loose skin after liposuction.