My 77 Year Old Mother Has Leaking Implants..should They Be Removed?

Too Old for Implant Removal?

+1

Every Medical and Surgical Decision needs to be weighed as to risk versus benefit. If your mom has no significant medical problems and her primary care physician things she is fit to undergo this operation then I would think it reasonable to go ahead. By the way as a Plastic Surgeon, I am more interested in physiologic age not chronological age. That is, I would much prefer to operate on an older patient in excellent health than a younger patient in poor health.  In particular, I would discuss this with a board certified plastic surgeon who can help you make the best decision.

77 Year Old with Leaking Implants

+1

Assuming that your mother is in good health and can manage the surgery, then she may be better off removing/exchanging the implants. She should visit her primary physician or internist to determine if she would be medically cleared for the surgery. If she would be cleared, then she should consult with 3 - 4 board certified plastic surgeons to understand her options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Leaking breast implants

+1

It depends whether they are silicone or saline. In general leaking silicone implants have to be removed. Saline implants leaking or deflation, depends on her health and to a certain extent on what she wants. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Remove leaking implants

+1

If your mother is in good health, I would recommend removing the implants.  I would recommend a visit to her primary care physician and a Board Certified plastic surgeon to help you evaluate her particular situation.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

77 Year Old and Leaking Breast Implants?

+1

Assuming your mother is in generally good health and can tolerate an operation without significant risk (best determined by medical workup by her primary care/internist), her breast implants should be removed and/or replaced.

Leaking breast implants

+1

Yes. Leaking breast implants should be removed, especially if they are silicone implants. Some 77 year old women are very healthy and active and treated accordingly. If she were very sick and may not tolerate surgery, then that would be a different situation.

Perry Liu, MD

It depends...

+1

As a general rule, most plastic surgeons recommnd the removal of leaking silicone implants assuming that the patient is healthy enough to undergo the proposed procedure. In a 77 year old this would include a thorough history and physical. It may also include a cardiac clearance if necessary. Physiologic age is more important that chronologic age! Good Luck!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon