Will my 2nd Liposuction Revision Turn out Better Than the 1st?

I had liposuction to my flanks over 1 year ago and underwent a revision due to 2 indentations on both sides of my lower back. After the revision and fat graft I was left worse! With more indentations and fat grafted above them not inside of them. I am so disappointed with the results. Now I definetly need another revision but I am afraid to look worse again. Is there any chance the 2nd revision will turn out fine? Doc will not perform fat graft instead remove excess fat above indentations

Secondary liposuction

When considering liposuction as a remedy to treat disproportionate fat collections, the surgeon must assess the estimated volume to be removed, the quality of the skin, and the underlying body contour. Ideally, you as the patient, only want to have liposuction once ( at least in a particular area of the body ). It is much more difficult to have liposuction a second time in a given area. It is also true that there is a variable limit to what should be removed in one operation, for safety purposes. Therefore, if you have a lot of fat to be removed over many different areas of the body, it would be wise to choose regions of the body that will be operated on at different times. The operations are usually spaced out no sooner than 3-4 months apart to allow your blood count to return to normal and reduce your risk of other life threatening complications. That all said, if there are contour deformities as a result of your first lipo procedure,  Sometimes a combination of secondary liposuction and fat grafting may be necessary to improve the results.

1535 Lake Cook Road
Northbrook, IL 60062

Unhappy with liposuction and subsequent fat grafting

Without at least a photo to be able to evaluate your areas of concerns, it is difficult to make specific recommendations as to the appropriate procedure. It may be that another session of fat grafting could successfully address your concern though there is no guarantee nor can I tell if this is the best procedure for you.

You should consider at least 2 consultations from other board certified plastic surgeons then weigh the information and make your decision.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

10290 N 92nd St
Scottsdale, AZ 85258

2nd liposuction revision

That is a difficult question to answer  - particularly without any photos.  I assume that you have researched the surgeon and feel comfortable with his or her training and qualifications.   Any procedure has risks, and contour irregularities can happen even with experienced surgeons, especially if it is a revision procedure when there is scar tissue and abnormal tissue planes and contour.  Placing fat grafts can be tricky as well, since they don't always stay exactly where they are placed and the survival rate of the grafts is not certain.   My advice is to see a couple board-certified plastic surgeons to get an idea of different options before rushing into more surgery.   And remember, sometimes doing nothing and waiting is the best course of action! 

Michelle A. Spring, MD, FACS
Missoula Plastic Surgeon

60 Four Mile Drive
Kalispell, MT 59901

Liposuction Revision

Improperly done liposuction can result in contour irregularities if the surgeon is too agressive or does not select the patient properly for a good result. The corrective treatment is often fat grafting and additional selective liposuction. However, this can be a challenge to effectively correct. It sounds like you need to explore other options from a surgeon perspective, but there is still no guarantee on any procedure. Do your research and find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to make sure to increase your chances for success. 

Best of luck 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

1431 Camino Del Mar
Del Mar, CA 92014

Liposuction Revision

It is very important that you do not rush into having revisions.  The procedure should be carefully planned and customized to your specific needs.  Without pictures or seeing you in person, it is difficult to give you more specific advice.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022

It is often easier to get the best result first compared to revisions

One of the most frequent negative results that can happen with any liposuction procedure is contour irregularity. Correcting irregularities, especially multiple small ones, with additional liposuction and fat grafting can, if not done well, lead to more irregularities as you have learned.  It is very important that you select the right board certified plastic surgeon for your next revision and that you and your plastic surgeon spend sufficient time planning out the next step.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

8900 E Raintree Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Revisional Liposuction is More Difficult

You pose some difficult issues. First of all, it would be helpful to have before , after, and after revision photos. You are correct to be skeptical about your results. From your question it appears you have found a DIFFERENT surgeon than your surgeon who performed your original and your fat transfer for the fix. This is good!. Get a new perspective. With previous liposuction there is scarring in the operative site. If you had laser assisted then that scarring could be even worse. Evening out the areas that are too high and borrowing that fat to put back into the scarred down area might just be the best answer. Good luck

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

960 Caughlin Crossing North
Reno, NV 89519