My 22 daughter just received Botox for her hemifacial spasm and her face is asymmetrical. What can she do?

She is upset because the doctor would not treat both sides and now her face is asymmetrical and its really causing her depression. Is there any reason the doctor should avoid doing both sides? Insurance coding? Help- I asked him and he said that we should wait 3 more weeks (its been 1.5) and the drooping below the eye will go away and the upper part will reax. Is this the best advice or should we be more demanding (not a great word) for him to do both sides next time?

Botox for facial asymmetry and hemifacial spasm

+1

Attempting to balance asymmetry with Botox can be challenging and may require some adjustment. Keeping exact records and photographs in order to provide historical basis for additional treatments is wise. I think whether both sides are treated initially is a judgment call and certainly you should have confidence in your doctors judgment. If not, find another doctor but I advise against bouncing around from doctor to doctor. After an injection is done it can change for up to 10 days to two weeks therefore this is the time I recommend consideration of tweaking.

Botox for hemifacial spasm left face asymmetrical

+1
Let's remember here that your daughter went in to treat a spasm, and not get a cosmetic Botox correction. What the doctor did was treat the spasm, which is what is allowed ONLY under the insurance billing. If she wants to treat the other side now for cosmetic reasons, then you would need to pay cash for those types of services. The doctor performed the medical procedure necessary and billed the insurance for the medically necessary treatment.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD