My 15yr. Son's Fr.tooth Veneer Came off Lst. Day, Now Dentist Wants to Put on a Crown. ( Grinding at Nite) What Should I Do?

Veneer or a crown for 15 year old

+1

At such a young age we try with all possible means postpone the preparing the tooth for full coverage crown. When the tooth is prepared - the significant amount of tissue is removed and the tooth is weakened. In the situation when the veneer got debonded - the occlusion should be checked and the nightguard should be fabricated.

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers for a patient who grinds teeth

+1

Since your son is only 15 years old, it would be best to stay conservative and avoid a full-coverage crown if it is not necessary.  With veneers, more tooth structure can be saved.  However, this is a decision that is best made after an examination by your dentist.  I also want to stress the importance of brushing and flossing every day for best maintainance of veneers and crowns.

Grinding is a big problem because it will cause sensitivity and eventually destruction of the teeth over time.  This is an even bigger problem with veneers and crowns because the porcelain on upper teeth will cause even more wear on the lower natural teeth.  Therefore, it is very important to wear a nightguard at night when the grinding occurs.  The nightguard will protect the teeth from grinding against each other and will prevent further wear.  Best, Dr. Elizabeth Jahanian

Elizabeth Jahanian, DDS
Corona Cosmetic Dentist

Options and Longetivity are Important for Veneers

+1

A 15 year old has a long way to go to keep his tooth healthy for a life time.  A plastic bonded veneer would be my first choice in repairing a chip.  When he is older he can always do a veneer.  I understand that grinding is a factor but I would get another opinion if he has already had a failure.  His bite must be stable and the teeth in correct occlusion.  Veneers are the most successful treatment we an do for our patients if done correctly.  Longetivity is a big factor in choosing treatment and crowns have long been an acceptable choice when necessary, but not at 15. 

Wendy S. Spektor, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers can come off

+1
If there bite issues, or clinching and gringing issues, veneers cNcome off or at best chip and crack. Crowns can last longer, but ideally, the bite and grinding issues need to be resoved first. Please take your son to an orthodontics or TMD specialist and look into solving the main problem.

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers that come off

+1

Get a 2nd opinion from an experienced dentist.

There are may things to take into consideration in this desicion. Why was the veneer done? Tooth fracture, discoloration, misshaped or malformed?  How is the bite? Is there grinding day/night? Age of patient?

With such a young patient, I would try at all cost to avoid a crown. Once you grind the tooth for a crown, there is no going back. Long term that crown may need to be redone every 7-10 years and it brings the possibility of root canal at some point.  So we are talking 6 or so crowns over a lifetime. There are only so many times you can re-do a crown before you run out tooth structure.

If there is already significant missing tooth structure from a trauma or cavities, then you may have no choice. A veneer may not hold up in this case.

If there is sufficient tooth to support the veneer but it comes off then I would re-bond or re-do the veneer. Veneers can come off from time to time, but with good bonding technique it should hold up well. Also, the dentist must pay close attention to the bite. If grinding is an issue you could look into a night guard.

Hope this helps

Dr. T

Mauricio C. Tijerino, DMD
Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Veneer came off the 1st day-what should I do?

+1

Porcelain Veneers are mechanically bonded to tooth structure.  It is a complex set of steps that need to be followed in order for them to adhere properly.  If the porcelain veneer dislodged on the first day, the problem most likely is technique application error.  I would re-apply the porcelain veneer making sure all steps are strictly followed in bonding and adjust the bite so the veneer does not contact the opposing teeth.  Good luck.

David S. Frey, DDS
Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers Longevity and Teeth Grinding

+1

Before your dentist placed the veneer, he should have counseled you and your son on his teeth grinding issues and  the wear and tear on a veneer.  You have two options here.  You could have him place another veneer and make your son a night guard that will protect the veneer and the rest of the teeth from wearing down or fracturing. The second choice would be to place a crown which is more durable.  Again, I am so sorry, but you should have been told by your dentist that your son had grinding issues and you would have been able to have made an educated choice right then to go with the veener and with the bite guard. You could have saved the cost of a new veneer or crown.

George Koutsoukos, DDS
Valencia Cosmetic Dentist