Can my 15 Year Old Daughter Use Latisse?

I try to instill positive body image habits into my daughter, but my daughter does have very thin eyelashes. I have been discussing Latisse with my sister who is 45, and my daughter has really wanted it to feel good about her eyelashes. She has blue eyes and I have heard that the pigmentation side effect is the only one preventing teens from using it, and I also heard that blue eyes don't apply, and don't have this problem. Would her using it be safe and no different than an adult, or what?

15 Year Old Daughter and Latisse

+2

According to Allergan, latisse use in pediatric patients below the age of 16 years is not
recommended because of potential safety concerns related to
increased pigmentation following long-term chronic use. Proceed with caution.

Latisse for teenagers

+2

Although there are no studies showing the safety of Latisse in teenagers, it should be perfectly safe as long as it is properly used. Parental guidance is advised!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Latisse on teens

+2

Frankly, we don't do studies on people less than 18 years of age for cosmetic procedures. I would see no reason why this wouldn't be safe, assuming you oversee how she uses it. Young people have a tendency to overdo things and think that if a little is good, a lot is better. So as long as your daughter uses the medication as directed - once per day only - and puts it on correctly - across the top lash line only - there should be no problems with her using it and not having any issues with her blue eyes.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Age Requirement for Latisse

+1

Latisse is approved by the FDA for patients ages 18 years and older. Since your daughter is 15, technically she is not able to receive the treatment. I would suggest waiting until the recommended age to undergo Latisse. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

+1

The percentage of changing blue eye color is so minimal, be sure to apply a thin layer to the lash line like liquid eyeliner before going to bed at night.  Latisse does require a prescription.  It can also darken the skin a little along the lash lids but make up covers this up well.  Check with your dotor if he prescribes Latisse to patients under 18 years old.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS