My 12yr Old Daughter is a 36I, As a Parent Can I Get Her Breast Reduced?

Breast Reduction for a 12 year old

+1

The indications for breast reduction surgery are the same no matter what the patient's age--large breasts causing problems. For a 12 year old there are additional considerations. She cannot sign her own consent, so a parent would need to. You seem very supportive, so that shouldn't be a problem. She should be evaluated for any endocrine abnormalities by her pediatrician. She would need to agree to the surgery and understand what is involved both short term and long term (for example, she would probably not be able to breast feed her children). With that said, some of my happiest breast reduction patients have been the younger ones and for a couple of them it has been life changing. You and your daughter should have a consultation with at least one plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery for a personal evaluation and examination and to discuss her individual circumstances. Good luck to both of you.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction for 12 Year Old?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty your daughter is experiencing at an early age.I'm glad to hear that your daughter has your support; this will be very helpful to her.

It sounds like she is dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for her frame causing both physical and psychological distress.

As  she thinks  about  breast reduction surgery make sure  you both to your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Make sure she also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

Sometimes a procedure is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization. Make sure you're  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Breast Reduction for my 12 year old daughter?

+1

After endocrinologist consultation and agreement, you and your daughter should see a plastic surgeon to learn more about reduction mammaplasty, and so your daughter's situation can be officially documented.  She will likely need the procedure at some point.  Discuss timing with the surgeon you see.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast reduction for a 12 year old

+1

It is possible for a child with parental consent to have breast reduction. There would need to be a clear medical indication for most surgeons to consider it as such a young age.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction at age 12

+1

While it might be a very good idea for your daughter's health to have a breast reduction at age 12 I would want more information before making such a decision. We would need to know her height, weight and weight history. If she has a more slender frame, it is probably a good idea for her to get the reduction. If she is very obese we would need to get her weight optimized first. And this would all have to be with the understanding she might have to go through the surgery again in a few years.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Parental Consent for Breast Reduction in Minors

+1

(Video included - click more to view) It is unusual to have a breast reduction at age 12, but in extreme cases, it may be warranted. Your daughter is a minor, so she cannot consent to the procedure. As her parent, you can consent to the procedure, but she still needs to be onboard, and understand the risks and benefits short-term and long-term.

Breast reduction is more likely to need to be redone when performed at a younger age. Partly this is because Plastic Surgeons are more likely to leave the breasts a little larger on a younger woman, and partly because the breast may not be through growing.

The procedure can be extremely worthwhile when done for the proper reasons and with a good understanding of what it means. If this is something she has brought up as a problem, then obtaining a consultation from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is the next step. If she has not brought it up, she may not be ready.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction at early age is sometimes recommended.

+1
Hello, The short answer is yes. If your daughters breasts are so large that it is impacting her health and development breast reduction can be performed. Some will argue to wait until 16 or 18 but nothing will change during this time. It will be important for you to understand what your daughter would like to accomplish, what she is experiencing, and what surgery will entail. This will help you make the best decision for her. All the best, Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD