Does my 11 Year Old Daughter Have a Congenital Saddle Nose? Can It Be Repaired at Her Age? (photo)

My daughter is 11 years old and since she was born her nose has looked "wrong". It was really upturned at birth and large. Now it seems to have lengthened a bit but it's still really wide (starting between her eyes) and is really sloped. It is still upturned too. After looking at pictures of saddle nose I'm wondering if she has congenital saddle nose. I myself have a short nose but it's different than hers. Can this even be corrected at her age?

Rhinoplasty at Age 11 #nosejob

+1

She is way too young for nose surgery. Wait until she is about 16 years old for full bone development and cartilage change to occur. Anything sooner that that time period would be ill advised. Her nose will change even more with time. Seek a board certified surgeon who specializes in nasal surgery. This is the most important thing you should do other than not having her operated on until her bone and cartilage are fully developed.

Short upturned low bridge nose in 11 year old.

+1

Her nose will grow over the next 4-5 years so do NO  surgery if needed at all until after 15-16. 

Rhinoplasty at age 11

+1

Thank you for your question and for the photo. Your daughter is too young at age 11 for a rhinoplasty. It is best to wait until the face has fully matured before performing a rhinoplasty. In a female, this is usually at age 16-17. 

Your daughter's nose will continue to change as she matures. While it may remain somewhat short, like you describe yours, the dorsum and tip may change significantly. I would suggest waiting for a couple of years to see how things change.

In the meantime, enjoy the time with your daughter.

Jeff Rockmore 

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon