Why Would my 100% Ceramic Crown Have Discolouration at the Base at the Gum Line? Do I Have Decay?

Why would my 100% ceramic crown have discolouration at the base at the gum line? I'm really worried that i have decay?

Discoloration at the gum line of your all Ceramic Crown

+1

There are several reasons an all Ceramic crown would discolor if it is relatively new.

- Blood present at the time of bonding

- Incomplete bond and stain has invaded the area

- Clenching and grinding has broken the seal and stain has set in

- Decay or soft enamel was never removed.

Best of luck to you.

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Ceramic crown has discoloration at gumline

+1

The discoloration might be from decay, or the darker color of the root of your tooth showing, or the margin might just be picking up stain because it is not finished extremely smooth with the edge of your tooth. Have your dentist check it.

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Ceramic Crown Has Discoloration at the Base

+1

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Discoloration at Gum Line of Non Metal Crown

+1

It is possible you have decay so definitely have it checked.  You may also have a portion of your natural tooth showing at the gum line.  Oftentimes it is darker than the restoration and you may just be seeing the contrast between the two colors.

Donald L. Wilcox, DDS
Phoenix Cosmetic Dentist

Ceramic Crown Has Discolouration at the Gum

+1

This is usually due to the root of the tooth showing.  If the crown is lighter than the tooth root and there is a little gum recession, you will see the root as a darker line.  It may be correctable, so talk to your dentist. 

Carlo Biasucci, DDS
Ontario Cosmetic Dentist