I Am Scheduled for a BR. Is It Too Much for a 57 YO to Add a TT?

Breast Reduction and Tummy Tuck for 57 Year Old?

+2

You are wise to be concerned about the safety of  performing combination surgery. Generally speaking, I individualize the care of each patient;  there are some 27-year-olds who I would not perform this combination of surgery for and there are some 57 -year-olds who I feel very comfortable proceeding with.

Much can be learned from a careful history and physical examination. In addition, preoperative “clearance"  from your internist/family practitioner will be helpful.

Choose your plastic surgeon carefully; ask to see lots of examples of similar patients who he/she has helped. Make sure you are being taken care of in a fully credited surgery center or hospital and by a well experienced anesthesia provider.

Combining breast reduction and tummy tuck is fairly common

+1

Thank you for the question.  The combination of breast reduction and tummy tuck is fairly common and has been deemed safe in multiple studies.  The key to undergoing both of these surgeries safely is chosing the right patient.  It may be that you are a great candidate for undergoing both surgeries at the same time but this should be evluated by your plastic surgeon and your primary care doctor.  Some patients, due to a variety of medical factors, would be at higher risk for complications from prolonged anesthesia and recovery.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction in a 57 year old

+1

Tummy tuck and breast reduction in a healthy, goal weight 57 year old would be appropriate for a surgeon who performs this combination all the time and can get both surgeries finished in 4 hours.  Find the plastic surgeon with the BEST credentials who performs this procedure routinely.

Mommy Makeover Age Limit?

+1

Breast reduction and a tummy tuck is a lot of surgery. However if you are in good health and get clearance from your general physician then you should be able  to proceed with surgery. Be sure you have picked a board certified plastic surgeon and ask to see many before and after pictures of patients that have had the procedures. You should be spending the night at the hospital or surgical facility and arrange to have help at home for at least a couple of days. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Combined Procedures

+1

Multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting. But it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done. Your surgeon may recommend an overnight stay depending on the overall length of your procedure(s).  Please confirm that your plastic surgeon is board certified plastic surgeon specifically by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover in 50's

+1

If you are healthy and near your ideal weight, you are likely a good candidate for doing a tummy tuck at the same time as your breast reduction.  Make sure that the surgeon you choose has a lot of experience with the combined procedures.

David Stoker, MD

Breast reduction and tummy tuck combination procedure safety

+1

This is a common question.  Many patients want to have multiple procedures done at the same time in order to save time and money and to minimize the amount of time off work.  More important than chronologic age is the physiologic age.  Many 57 year olds are healthy and active and are fine candidates for this type of procedure.  Only your physician can determine what is safe for you after a consultation.  Sometimes I will make arrangements for an older patient to spend the night in a hospital or under the care of a nurse in order to make sure that they recover uneventfully.  Also the procedures themselves may be done a little differently in order to make sure someone recovers without problems--for instance, it may not be right to make the muscles as tight in a 57 year old as in a 30 year old because the 57 year old will take too long to recover.  This requires surgical skill and judgment about how to best treat each individual.  The number one thing is safety and have an open, honest discussion about this with your surgeon before going forward, but if you are healthy, the combined procedure can typically be done at the same time.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and tummy tuck at the same time?

+1

This is a relatively common combination of procedures. Doing the two  together safely depends upon the patient and the surgeon.

If your general health is good, if you are not too heavy, if you are a non-smoker,  if you are not at increased risk for  blood clots this can work for you.

If your surgeon can do these procedures relatively quickly (ideally 4 hours, acceptable up to 6 hours) most would consider this to be safe. Longer than six hours would not be an absolute exclusion, but would suggest that an overnight hospital stay be considered. 

Not knowing anything about your general health, I would suggest running your plan by your personal physician, and a pre-op visit with that doctor would be wise.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Is Combining Procedures Safe?

+1

You have asked a question I am frequently asked as this combination of procedures is common in my practice. I always have to consider the safety of performing extended procedures together versus the benefit in combining the recovery and the savings in costs. Whereas either procedure alone can be done as an outpatient, the total time of both an abdominoplasty and breast reduction done together exceeds 6 hours and should be done where an overnight hospital stay can be arranged. This will increase the costs and may exceed any benefit to doing it together, depending on the setting of your procedure(s). There is clearly an increased risk of complications with prolonged procedures and to some degree your age and health status may be a factor. My best advice is to get the most honest and accurate information you can from your primary care provider and your plastic surgeon about the risks and benefits of separate versus combined procedures and how you would best be served. It is always, always best to be on the safe side. All the best!

Scott A. Brenman, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Combining Breast Reduction and Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

I agree that this is an excellent question!  Cosmetic tummy tuck and breast lift and/or augmentation procedures are performed as combined procedures frequently, and have been given the name "Mommy Makeover," as the procedures are intended to address the loss of firmness and contour that can result from pregnancy.  A breast reduction typically takes a bit longer than a breast lift/ augmentation, and therefore, will add some time to your surgery and anesthesia.  Your general health is a much more important predictor of your surgical risk than your age alone.  If you are in generally good health, or obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician, your board certified plastic surgeon may be very comfortable combining these procedures under one period of general anesthesia.  If, however, there is any significant concern about your health, or if you have underlying medical conditions such as coronary artery disease or diabetes, it may be safer to have the procedures performed separately at different times.

Please be certain to discuss you options with your board certified plastic surgeon, and make sure your procedure is performed in an accredited facility, preferably a hospital with inpatient beds for an overnight observation.

Dr. Skourtis

DrMSkourtisPlasticSurgery.com

Mia E. Skourtis, MD