Muscle Spasm After Breast Augmentation?

I had a breast augmentation 4 months ago and I am still having a sharp pain on my left breast. I'm not sure if it's a muscle spasm or what, but it happens about 12-15 times daily and usually wakes me at night. Is this normal?

Muscle Spasms

+1

It is not uncommon to have muscle spasms, however, at 4 months they should be subsiding. You can take a muscle relaxer or an NSAID such as Advil, even Botox can sometimes help.

Shooting pains months after breast implant augmentation surgery

+1

In some instances the surgery or implants can irritate intanct nerves causing dysesthesias. With time, nerves can stretch an become less excitable. Your description does not sound like a spasm and medication is not generally warranted for this. 

Breast augmentation pain

+1

Pain 3-4 months out after breast augmentation may be nerve irritation.  I doubt it is muscle spasm. That usually goes away after a few weeks once the muscle has stretched.  I would get evaluated by your doctor.

Not common to have spasm after breast augmentation

+1

Having strong spasms that frequently and that far out from surgery is not common unless you had larger implants placed and/or have an implant sitting near a nerve. I would see your surgeon to see if something might be done about this.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Generally it is just nerve irritation

+1

Muscle spasms usually are gone after a couple of weeks. There are some large sensory nerves in the lateral aspect of the breast pocket and these can be irritated by the pressure of the implant. These symptoms virtually always go away with time but it can take many months. Once in a rare case, they start after 2-3 years as scar tissues may be pulling on the nerves. There's nothing specific you can do about it other than massage and letting time heal you. But check with your doctor to be sure there isn't any other issue.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Not Uncommon, but I would check with your surgeon

+1

Hi there-

What you are describing is not uncommon, but if you were my patient I would definitely want to see you for an exam to be sure that there wasn't something more significant going on.

Make a visit to your surgeon, let them look at you to be sure- if nothing more significant is going on, rest assured that in most patients these pains resolve on their own over a few months.

Congratulations on your new breasts!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Not uncommon for up to a year

+1

Hello Jenn

It is not uncommon to feel the occasional sharp pain, burning sensation, or tugging after breast augmentation. Sometimes we see it as late as a year after surgery. However, 12-15 times seems like a lot. Is there something about that arm or breast that you do differently? I would check in with your doctor and have him/her check it out to make sure nothing else is happening. If there is nothing awry, only time will improve it, but time usually is all it takes. Good luck.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Yes.

+1

It is not uncommon for shooting pains or electrical shocks to persist for months after an augmentation. I call these "zingers". In nearly all cases, they abate or at least become so infrequent and short-lived that they are tolerated.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD