Above or Below the Muscle for Saline Implants? Differences?

I'm 5'-6", 116 lbs and I want to know what is better, above or below the muscle for saline implants?...and would like to know what the differences are, if any?

Saline implants below the muscle

+1

There are some basic differences between placing breast implants above or below the muscle. I prefer to place implants below the muscle to achieve a more natural appearance. Saline implants are more likely to ripple and placing the implants under the muscle provides an added layer of camouflage.

Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

For low body weight, place saline implants UNDER the muscle

+1

SEE VIDEO BELOW FOR OVERVIEW>>>>There are numerous previous responses which have answered this qeustion. However, the brief answer to your question, in my opinion, is a strong recommendation for under the muscle due to your being typically under weight for your height.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Salines should always be below the muscle

+1

Because of increased wrinkles and ripples with saline above the muscle, they should ALWAYS be below the muscle in my opinion.

Saline above or below for implants

+1

Most of the patients I see are pretty thin.  Usually I place them under the muscle to offer more soft tissue coverage in the superior pole.

Saline implants above or below the muscle?

+1

I prefer implants above the muscle if you have enough tissue in the superior chest. My reasoning is that they are less likely to leak, do not move with arm movement and are less likely to displace late. A major reason for submuscular implants is that they stay softer than subglandular implants, unless you use a textured implant. A textured implant has the same incidence of feeling firm whether above or below the muscle. The reason most surgeons use below the muscle implants is that it is an easier procedure than using a textured implant. If you have thin tissues, then I use a silicone implant above the muscle. With saline, I have the option now of using a shaped implant that can give very natural results. With really thin tissues you should have a submuscular implant for the most natural result.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Saline implants should usually be under muscle

+1

Saline implants should almost always be placed under the muscle in order to provide better coverage for the implant and a more natural look.  Saline implants above the muscle will usually have a lot of rippling, especially in someone your size.  Even with a implant below the muscle, you should really understand the pro's and con's of saline vs. silicone.  Good luck!

Go under the muscle with saline implants in a thin patient

+1

One of the more important reasons to put implants under the muscle is for coverage. With ample breasts and thicker body fat layer, it doesn't make much of a difference but it does not sound like you are in that category. Even with going under the muscle though, saline implants will not feel as natural as silicone gel implants, and keep in mind that the muscle does not cover the lateral sides or the bottom.

Placement of Saline Implants

+1

I think saline implants should almost always be placed under the muscle.  They ae more likely than silicone implants to develop wrinkling.  By placing them under the muscle the rippling can be somewhat hidden.

Advantages of BELOW THE MUSCLE Saline Breast Implants VS OVER THE MUSCLE IMPLANTS

+1
Very few women who require implants look attractive with over the muscle saline breast implants. The reason? ALL breast implants, but especially salt water (saline) implants ripple and pleat. To prevent these ripples from being seen and felt Plasticsurgeon want to put as much soft tissue cover on the implants as possible. If the woman does not have a lot of breast tissue to cover the implant, the underlying pectorals major muscle needs to be used to provide cover as well. In addition to less rippling and pleating of the implants, submuscular implant placement is associated with a lower risk of scarring around the implants (less capsular contracture) and easier mammography diagnosis of breast masses. In a thin woman the vast majority of Plastic surgeons would advise a submuscular breast implant placement. Hope this helps. Dr. Peter A. Aldea