Can Muscle Repair in Tummy Tuck Improve Posture?

We're always told to strengthen our abs for better posture and I'm curious as to whether the surgery might also help. Thanks!

Tummy tuck can improve posture by repairing muscle separation

+1

Part of a tummy tuck involves repairing the separation of the midline abdominal muscles that can spread with pregnancy. Repairing this rectus diastasis can restore muscle stability of your "core" and therefore improve back support and posture.

Your post does not say whether you have rectus diastasis, but if you do, tummy tuck may help your core strength and posture.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tucks may work to improve posture

+1

The tummy tuck procedure typically involves the tightening of the rectus abdominus muscles. This may improve posture by balancing the synergistic forces created by the spinal muscles and the abdominal wall musculature.

If there is a deficiency or weakness in one muscle group the other may compensate thereby creating a shift in posture.This developes over time and may improve with the tummy tuck. Immediately following the procedure a shortlived  forwardly displaced shift in posture may occur.

It is quite possible that the procedure allows those who are always trying to" hold their stomachs in", or those who are always wearing tight garments to keep their tummy flat,  see some relief. The back muscles and abdominal muscles may work together once again to achieve a better posture.

I am not sure that everyone will see this effect. Most do. There is certainly a mechanical component...maybe a psychological one as well.

Nick Masri, MD

Returning your abdominal muscles to their anatomic position usually improves their performance

+1

Hi there-

I have been told many times by my tummy tuck patients that (once recovered) they feel their abdominal muscles are stronger and more effective after the surgery.

This does make sense anatomically- all muscles and the joints they act on are basic cable and pulley systems- when the force of the cable (the muscle) is applied in line with the pulley (the joint), efficient motion occurs.

Returning the abdominal muscles to their anatomic positions should improve their performance, and this is likely to be something you experience in many activities, including your posture.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Back pain, posture, exercise following a tummy tuck with muscle work

+1

SEE VIDEO BELOW: A tummy tuck does not strengthen your abdominal muscles, It simply repositions or re-aligns them which makes it easier for you to exercise and flatten your tummy. It has often been said that Pilates excercise make s you taller. I often encourage patients to perform these exercises following a tummy tuck which does improve their posture and occasionally their back pain.

Posture and tummy tuck

+1

It is unlikely that a tummy tuck will change your posture. The procedure may move your center of gravity closer to your spine and this may help with back pain.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Rectus muscle plication can help with posture

+1

The rectus muscles, usually running vertically like the slat of a picket fence from the rib cage to the pubis, can be pushed laterally by internal weight gain or pregnancy. They then can bow outwards, like a barrel stave. This can take away some of their stabilizing support to the muscles of the spine. This weakens their pull in the front of the abdomen and allows the muscles in the back to pull harder, creating an accentuated curve in the low back, causing discomfort, as well as abnormalities in posture.

If these muscles are brought back to the midline by suturing them along their inner edge, this can rebalance the pull of the back muscles and lessen some of the back pain and postural changes. This is something that is easily accomplished at the time of a cosmetic abdominoplasty.

For further information, look for articles about the WARP (wide abdominal rectus plication) abdominoplasty. your board certified plastic surgeon can discuss this with you.

Good Luck!

David N. Hing, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck very well might improve posture

+1

Repairing the Diastasis Rectii during a Tummy tuck accomplishes many things. Not only will it tighten your abdomen, making it flatter, thinner, and mored toned, it alsoacts as an anterior stabilizer of the spine. Many women report improvement in lower back pain and improved posture- this is certainly not guaranteed, but I have seen it in many of my own patients.

David Shuter, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck might improve core strength

+1

Some women report improved core strength after tummy tuck surgery -- this is a subjective report, and I don't think its been studied scientifically. You certainly will look better and more athletic after a tummy tuck- that's enough to help anyone walk with a bit more confidence.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Abdominal contour factors

+1

The abdominal contour is govern by three factors:

1. Anatomy: Intra-abdominal contents including fat, functional muscle in its appropriate anatomical location, amount and distribution of fat, and amount and quality of skin.

2. Muscle function affected by hernias or denervation.

3. Muscle tone and posture.

If you have a anatomical problem with the muscle such as hernia, weakness, or diastasis, surgical correction or tightening might help but this is dependent on the relative contribution of the other anatomical componentssuch as intra-abdominal and extra-abdominal fat. If your muscle is normal, but you have poor posture and resting tone, only you can train yourself to correct this. Contouring by muscle tightening will be limited by poor posture and this should be analysis prior to surgery.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Muscle repair in Tummy Tuck improve posture

+1

Yes, it is possible that a correction in your posture can occur with a tummy tuck and recti repair. See 3 boarded plastic surgeons. Regards,