Muscle Repair During Tummy Tuck and Strenuous Exercise?

I am considering a tummy Tuck or lbl,with muscle repair. Because while I am sucking in my stomach it looks bearable but if I let it out it looks like I am pregnant... With twins! So perhaps muscle repair is necessary or can I lose this pregnancy effect (I'm mid 30s male) by doing a lot of Ab exercises for 2 months. The Ab muscles stitched together .. So say I rest 8 weeks after the operation, can the stitches not break over time or cut through my abs if I am doing strenuous Ab exercises?

Tummy Tuck Exercise Guidelines

+1
You'll be able to return to vigorous exercise after your initial healing period is over. You may be able to begin cardio type physical activity at 3-4 weeks. Strenuous physical activity (like lifting weights, abdominal crunches) is not permitted until 6 weeks after surgery. However, these guidelines may not apply if your recovery is complicated. Please listen to your surgeon. 

If your muscles have separated (diastasis recti) then no matter how many sit-ups you do, you'll never be able to flatten that bulge. Muscle separation must be corrected by surgery.

+1

As long as this is due to abdominal wall laxity and not visceral fat, the contours can be improved. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Muscle Repair - Tummy Tuck - Male Abdominoplasty

+1

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to advice without examining you or at least a photo; from your description, you have some laxity of the abdominal wall. The first recommendation for a male who has not had a significant weight-loss, is to increase physical activities concentrating on core muscle exercises and sit-ups for a few month, paying attention to diet and abstaining from excessive drinking. Should this fail, I would then possibly consider a muscle re-tightening procedure on the recti. Hope it helps.

Best of luck

Andrea Marando

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal Wall Flattening with Abdominoplasty

+1

In performing an abdominoplasty the loose, hanging skin is excised and the abdominal wall is tightened yielding a flat abdominal wall without redundant, excess skin.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

The best way to correct muscle laxity is done when performing a tummy tuck. I let my patients do moderate exercise but no sit ups at 8 weeks. You just need to see a board certified plastic surgeon for consultation! Be brave! and make the phone call.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and muscle repair

+1
Its hard to say what's best for you as we don't have a photo. In general if you are a male and haven't lost a lot of weight then its always best to hit the gym first. After you are the fittest that you can be then you should see a Plastic Surgeon for advice. Strenuous exercise to include ab exercises should usually be fine 8 weeks after a tummy tuck.

Michael Weinberg, MD

Male abdominoplasty

+1

Muscular repair is an excellent way to improve abdominal contours, but make sure your core strength is good prior to any surgery and that you have worked out any postural issues you may have. Some men chronically push their tummy out and it can slowly un-do the results of tummy tuck.

Patti A. Flint, MD

When safe to exercise after a tummy tuck with muscle wall repair

+1

An uncomplicated wound such as a muscle repair where there are no issues such as fluid or hematoma in the area, should reach full tensile strength of the repair at 6 weeks.  After that, normal wound healing is just remodeling.  Therefore exercise after 8 weeks should be OK except that you must realize that your abdominal muscles will have weakened due to your relative inactivity after surgery.  Build back up slowly.  Don't assume that you will be able to immediately go back to your pre-op strength.  If you did have hematoma, seroma, infection, or incisional healing problems then you might have to wait a little longer.  As far as a muscle repair correcting your problem, that will depend on your findings in a physical exam.

Myles Goldflies, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty

+1

It is difficult to say what would be best for you without a formal exam in person. Tightening the muscles may help if they are week and protuberant.