Muscle Repair with Lower Body Lift?

Hi, I read something recently about the Lower body lift addressing "muscle repair" that had "fallen." I do know that muscle repair is often involved with a Tummy tuck to repair weakened ab muscles, but I did not know other muscles could be involved in a lower body lift. Could you enlighten me?

On the one hand it seems logical as the newly sewn skin needs to be tethered to something, but on the other hand, I'm not a doctor and that's what they pay you guys the big bucks for. Thanks in advance!

Body Lifting and Muscle Repair

+3

The rectus muscles (abdominals) are the only muscles that I am aware of that are repaired during a body lift or a tummy tuck. They are tightened/repaired along the midline to flatten your abdominal wall. This helps the overall result of the tummy tuck/lift.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Muscle repair in Body Lift

+2

The only muscles that are "repaired" in a body lift procedure are the anterior abdominal muscles.which lie in a line from the rib cage down to the groin area and generally separate to a degree with age and child birth. Some surgeons will, in addition, plicate the lateral abdominal wall muscles obliquely to enhance the contour change of the waist line.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Muscle Repair with Body Lift

+1

The muscles that are repaired during a "body lift" are the abdominal muscles (which normally have separated with weight gain / pregnancy, etc.).

Muscle Tightening in a Body Lift

+1

A body lift is also known as a circumferential body lift (aka belt lipectomy). This is a very powerful procedure that is, in essence, 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck, waist lift/lateral thigh lift, and buttock lift/contouring.   The muscle tightening occurs with the tummy tuck portion of the body lift - essentially correcting the separation of your rectus muscles that manifest as abdominal bulging.  

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Muscle repair and body lift

+1

The only muscles that I know of that need repair during a body lift are the rectus muscles which are usually plicated in the midline.

Bodylift Muscle Tightening

+1

A Bodylift is essentially a tummy tuck combined with a lateral thigh and buttock lift.   Therefore, the same muscles that are tightened during tummy tuck are tightened during abdominoplasty.

Paul S. Gill, MD

A Lower Body Lift with Muscle Tightening

+1

Lower body lifts are most commonly performed after large weight loss. The same stresses that stretch the skin, can also stretch the abdominal muscles. It is common to tighten the case (the fascia) of the abdominal muscles with a lower body lift much the same as it is done with a tummy tuck.

The muscle is imbricated and repaired at the midline. This can be done with, or without a vertical scar on the abdomen. The vertical scar is added to a lower body lift, or a tummy tuck, when there is too much loose skin on the upper abdominal wall.

Sometimes I will also tighten the external oblique fascia to further hourglass the muscular contours. Muscle tightening of the sides and back is not normally needed, as the ribs and spine provide added support, and prevent the muscles from being stretched.

I hope this answers you question. Additional information is available on the video attached to this posting.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Repair of the muscle during a body lift

+1

The muscle repair during the body lift procedure primarily addresses rectus abdominis laxity and thus the surgery entails plication of this muscle for abdominal support. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Muscle repair in body lifts

+1

When performing a body lift, an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) is a crucial part of the procedure.  The abdominal muscles are sewn together at the midline when performing most tummy tucks, and this is the muscle repair that is being described also in the body lift.  When doing other procedures that may be part of the body lift, such as an inner thigh lift, we will suspend the skin/soft tissue to a deeper fascial layer (a layer of strong tissue just superficial to the muscle) , although this is not truly a "muscle repair".

Robert Wilke, MD
Edina Plastic Surgeon

Proper tissue repair during Body Lift

+1

When performing a body lift it is important to repair the wound in such a way that the scars do not migrate significantly.  Of course a tummy tuck requires a muscle repair.  When performing a body lift and inner thigh lift it is important to suspend the tissues on the muscle fascia layer.  The surgeon should be well skilled in pertinent anatomy and techniques to achieve this.  Repairing the fascia layer goes a long way to keep scarring acceptable and keep them from migrating to undesirable location.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon