Muscle Pain and Torn Stitches After Tummy Tuck?

I have 2 questions. First I want to know if muscle pain is normal and how long it should last. And I would also like to know if the 2 stitches that tore should have been restitched and if my scar will be terrible because of this.

Pain after Tummy Tuck is expected

+2

Muscle pain after a tummy tuck is routine. Everyone is different, but I tell my patients to expect to require a narcotic for 7 days. Most patients are pain-free by two weeks.

If two sutures in the skin came out, the wound is typically left open. If they were replaced, the chance of the wound becoming infected is significant. Once healed, the scar may be slightly wider in this location.

Bel Air Plastic Surgeon

Muscle pain, torn stitches after Tummy Tuck

+1

It is not uncommon to have "muscle pain" for some time following the tummy tuck. This usually indicates that the muscle repair was performed well. This discomfort usually subsides after a few weeks, but can start up again once you are cleared to re-engage in exercise. Even then it gets better with time, usually in a month or two.

Regarding the stitches that have torn: I am assuming that you mean the stitches in the lower scar. If these have torn more than likely they'll heal. It all depends on how much of the incision is open, which is best determined by your doctor. There are so many factors that determine final scar quality that I don't think this event alone will have much of an impact.

If you are referring to the stitches that are for the muscle repair, then your overall result may be affected. If the muscle repair breaks, many times it needs to be re-repaired in the operating room. Otherwise the abdomen appears to have tight skin on a loose belly, which looks like a beer belly. In order to avoid I always perform a two layer repair. The first layer is performed with individual permanent sutures, and the second layer is a running long-lasting suture. This provides a tight and strong yet smooth repair.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon