Muscle Etching?

I frequently find information on abdominal etching but not on etching of other muscles. Is it more complicated to etch other areas of the body such as arms and thighs because of asymmetry or has it just not a popular procedure?

3D contouring requires experience and is rarely done in the extremities

+1
Many thanks for your interesting question. Contouring for asymmetry is commonly performed on legs and arms to even our large vs small sizes. There are many patients with differences that can be improved but not completely solved. 
1. Begin with a board certified plastic surgeon and visit several offices
2. Seek a surgeon who does at least 100 of these procedures per year
3. Internet discussions do not replace the advice of your physician

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lipo etching of other areas besides the abdomen

+1

Lipo etching of abdominal region is common. Lipo etching of extremities is uncommon. It has higher complication rate when compared to lip etching of abdomen, truck or chest. The most common complication includes contour irregularities and skin depression.

Lipo etching of the chest or the pectoralis major muscles is a very common procedure and is associated with high patient satisfaction rate as well as lipo etching of abdomen. 

Jaime Perez M.D FACS

Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Lipo etching Specialist

Jaime Perez, MD

Muscle etching

+1

Hi.  i'm not a big fan of this procedure.  It's essentially making little pockets of fat more prominent, as though they were muscles.  It might look good in one photo, but doesn't tend to look so good in real life, or as you age.

The only reliable way to be the "ripped" look is to work on muscle development and a low body fat percentage. It's hard work.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Etching with liposuction

+1

There may be a greater concern of complications from muscle etching on the limbs compared with the trunk because of circulation and thinner skin. It certainly is not commonly done, and has a higher risk of ulceration and scarring and producing an undesirable appearance of the skin from a lack of dermis and subcutaneous tissue being left behind, than when conventional liposuction is done.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Body contouring

+1

I personally do not believe in this technique for a variety of reasons.  Essentially plastic surgeons are trying to add definition by liposuction which can create contour deformity and irregularities which you will ultimately not be pleased with.  I recommend discussions with your plastic surgeon prior to embarking on this technique.

Christopher K. Livingston, MD

Muscle Etching is Superficial Liposuction

+1

Etching with liposuction refers to performing liposuction in the superficial plane just under the skin. Here in Denver we have proponents of superficial liposuction techniques utilizing both the Vaser (manufactured by Sound Surgical just outside of Denver, Colorado) and SmartLipo (manufactured by Cynosure). Other plastic surgeons, myself included, perform superficial liposculpting without these whiz-bang proprietary technologies. I would recommend that you ask for a lot of specifics in terms of what YOU can expect versus the shiny looking bodies that you may see in the "after" pictures. My feeling is that too much "hey, look at what I can do" type of marketing is used in this arena, and I would only recommend muscular-type sculpting or etching for the very best candidates. Hope this helps Nick Slenkovich MD, FACS

Nick Slenkovich, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Lipo etching

+1

Lipo etching has been pushed with vaser lip0 using hi-def, Yes more are done on the abdomen but these techniques can be used on other muscle areas.

Lipo etching of muscles

+1

Although most popular for the abdomen, it is occasionally used for the pectoralis or calf muscles. However , it is generally not a widespread or commonly used technique due to the potential for irregularities.