Does the Muscle in Back of Lid Have to Be Cut During Eyelid Surgery?

i'm considering eyelid surgery but after hearing about cutting muscle i think i'll just have some trimmed off lids. Should I see a resonable result? Does the muscle have to be cut to have good results? my vision is not impaired so it will be cosmetic only. i'm 58 years old and think this will hold me for a while. won't care after 70+. is this a good decision? thanks for your time.

Muscles in eyelid surgery

+2

When performing an upper lid Blepharoplasty it is rare that I will cut or remove any of the orbiculares muscle. If there is a fullness from fat herniation, I will will remove a minimal amount of fat and only from the medial side (closest to the nose). I believe that by leaving the muscle intact, you will achieve a natural fullness to the upper lid which is more youthful.

Medford Plastic Surgeon

Muscle excision with blepharoplasty

+2

Sometimes surgeons trim some of the orbicularis muscle which is directly under the skin. This can help to sharpen the crease. I prefer in most cases to leave it intact to keep the fullness in the eye. which I feel is more youthful looking.

Eyelid muscle not always cut during eyelid surgery

+1

No, the eyelid muscle is called the orbicularis oculi muscle and is occasionally trimmed of excess muscle. This is to deepen the upper lid fold when necessary. If your desire is to get a deeper fold of the upper lid, then sometimes this muscle can be trimmed. If you want more of a full look the muscle is not trimmed.

Eyelid Surgery Technique for Extra Skin

+1

Cosmetic eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) has many variations. Let's focus just on the cosmetic surgery of the upper eyelid. Most plastic surgeons generally remove a small strip of muscle in addition to excess skin for eyelid enhancement. Some eye plastic surgeons may remove the extra skin only. Less commonly, a small amount of fat is also removed from the upper eyelid area. Lastly, some patients have droopy eyelids (ptosis), usually from age, and require tightening of the eyelid. Each technique has its advantages and disadvantages.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation by a specialist can an appropriate upper eyelid surgery be determined for you. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Everybody is different

+1

The answer is depends, your surgeon will examine you and determine what is the problem, based on his examination and experience he/she will recommend a plan of treatment. Some patient will required excision of skin, fat and muscle in different proportions depending on their individual characteristics. If you are one of those patient with increase amount of muscle and this is not resected, you will not have an optimum result from your surgery.

Good luck in your surgery

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Some procedures only require removal of skin

+1

Surgery for the upper lid usually requires removing skin and some fat. Some patients have a hollowed out upper eyelid so no fat is removed in them. As a matter of fact ,sometimes fat is placed into the recess in the upper eyelid immediately beneath the bone in the upper eye socket ,to correct the hollowed look.

For the lower eyelids, less skin is removed but more fat is either removed or repositioned. Since the fat lies beneath the both the upper and lower eyelids, if that is being removed or repositioned, it is necessary to at least cut through the muscleto get to the fat. It's not unusual to remove a small strip of the muscle, but this does not affect the eye muscle movement. This is an external muscle that is circular in shape and is responsible for winking.

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Eyelid surgery, blepharoplasty, involves a number of steps

+1

Each person needs to be evaluated as in individual. Some only have extra skin in their eyelids to be removed. Some have extra fat,while others need their own extra "fat pads" moved to an adjacent area. Third, the muscles should be preserved but sometimes trimmed. The results should last 10 years or more and make you look more youthful and less tired. I suggest you seek out a specialist in facial surgery to determine what is best for you.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Upper eyelid lift

+1

No, the muscle does not always need to be cut. Many plastic surgeons take only skin and leave the muscle untouched. It is very dependant on what you truly need. My personal take on the matter is that patients can request what parts of their face get operated on but they probably shouldn't request what techniques are used. Your surgeon should make the recommendation as to what is best but an educated discussion on the matter will clarify your comfort with your plastic surgeon as he should know a very clear and distinct answer to your question.

Best Wishes.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Muscle resection in eyelid surgery

+1

Muscle resection in eyelid surgery (upper and/or lower lids) can be variable depending on your specific problems. Skin only removal can be done if the muscle has not sagged or become hypertrophic (thickened). Most of the time, however, some removal is performed to decrease the excess fullness and droopiness of the upper lid and tighten the sagging and festoons of the lower lid.

Removing the muscle should not affect your ability to blink, squint, or close your eyes. You should speak with your plastic surgeon about your desired result and have him/her explain why or why not the muscle may require removal. The amount of muscle removed is usually small in relation to the entire muscle complex around the eye.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Droopy eyelid

+1

You may be talking about performing muscle surgery from a posterior (back of eyelid) approach in order to correct droopy eyelid, which is different than just excising skin from the front (blepharoplasty). They are each done for a separate reason, depending on the need: do you have excess skin or is it droopy or both. I routinely perform both procedures, if needed.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon