Can I work out before Breast Implant Revision Surgery?

I am having a breast augmentation in about a week. I already have saline implants I am simply swapping them to silicone and going up one size. I was told at pre-op by the nurse no cardio for 2 weeks and no muscle work for 3 weeks. No cardio is not an issue but I would like to be able to do light leg butt and ab work. No weights just squatting, crunches, etc low impact that can be done without weights so as not to lose all definition.

Breast Implant Saline to Silicone Exchange Workout Restrictions Preopreativly

+1
Thank you for your question. I do not restrict the workouts of my most my patients prior to surgery. However, if this is something your surgical team feels is necessary for you, you need to adhere to their instructions. If you are confused by some of the instructions call them or make another appointment to see them before surgery for clarification. Good luck with your procedure.

Follow the instructions given by your surgeon

+1
Hi there,

While in my own practice I don't have a problem with my patients exercising the week before their breast surgery, I would not want you to even consider this in your decision making- the only instructions that matter in your particular case are those given you by the surgeon who you have chosen to do your surgery. Don't deviate from what he/she tells you.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Work out before breast implant revision

+1
Thank you for your question.  In my experience I have not found that working out the week before a breast implant surgery causes problems.

However it is very important that you follow the instructions of the plastic surgeon that we'll be doing your procedure.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

No problem with exercise!

+1
I don't see any problem with lower body exercising, on the other hand, as for pectoral workout, if your current implant is under the pectoral muscle, there shouldn't be any problems either, as the pocket for the implant already exists. Good luck with your surgery! 

Jose A. Leon, MD

Work out?

+1

You can feel confident in knowing that nothing will happen if you work out before the surgery. For post op, physical activity should be avoided after a 2-3 week period. Always follow your PS's instructions.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Working Out Prior to Surgery

+1
It is best to follow the advice of your board certified plastic surgeon.  Lower body and cardio workouts are typically fine.  If your pectoralis muscles are tighter than usual at the time of surgery, you may experience more pain and or difficulty with surgery.  Good luck!

Emily J. Kirby, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Exercise before Breast Implant Surgery

+1
Thank you for your question. I don't see a problem with lower body workouts. Good luck with your surgery.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

No problem...

+1
I don't see any problem working those areas. Just be careful after your surgery to do very limited pec exercises. Activities such as bench press, flies and push ups over time can force your implants to move too low and too lateral (into your armpits). Women typically don't need big pecs to be healthy and attractive. Good luck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

+1
I can see no reason at all for restricting your exercise program before surgery, but I think it's important you follow your own surgeon's advice.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Exercise before breast implant revision is OK

+1
Exercise prior to surgery is fine, but I would not work the pecs too hard in the day or two before. Afterward, your surgeon will advise you about when you can ramp up your workout.

Richard Baxter, MD