Why Does Lower Abdomen Seem More Poofy Than Before?

Hi, I am 4 weeks post upper,lower abs & flanks smart lipo. My husband & I noticed yesterday my lower abdomen looked extremely bloated. Still numb in lower & flank area & it seems like anykind of pants I wear, its leaving indentions in my stomach.My Dr told me just have patience it will go away. I am wearing my 2nd stage garment at least 12hrs a day per my Dr. Problem is that I am not noticing any change at all,except extremely looking bloated. I am just hoping that I didn't do this for nothing.

Adequate compression is key!

+2

Excess fluid will settle in the most dependent, lowest areas treated.   Make sure your compression garment is offering adequate compression to control any "pooling of fluid".  Also, watch your sodium intake and increase your water intake, as this will help resolve the swelling.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Smartlipo post procedure swelling

+2

Thank you for your question.  After most surgical procedures, our bodies produce swelling.  This swelling is important in the healing process because it brings in the cells to heal the area.  It also brings in the cells that are responsible for tightening the skin in the treated area.  You can expect the majority of the swelling to resolve by 6 weeks after the procedure.  From 6 weeks to 12 weeks you will find the swelling is nearly gone in the morning when you awaken but then increases during the day due to greater activity.  You may also feel a little tired during this time of healing.  Garments help to compress the treated area to minimize the amount of swelling in that area.  However, if the garment is causing indentions, I usually ask my patients to remove the garment.  This will be up to your physician based on his experiences.  I hope this helps.  Best Wishes!  Dr. Vinyard

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo swelling

+1

After Smartlipo it is normal to swell for a few days to weeks. This swelling will go down over time, wear your compression garment to help this process.

Smart lipo recovery...

+1

Swelling after liposuction is extremely  common  4 weeks after the procedure is done.  Every patient heals at different speeds, and for some patients, the swelling can last several few months.  The results for liposuction become more apparent over the course of three months and the skin contracts.  Do not get discouraged as you will start seeing results as some more time goes by.  Wearing the garment does help reduce some of the swelling.  Make sure you ask your surgeon when you can take it off and for how long.

Web reference: http://www.AssociatesinPlasticSurgery.com

Edison Plastic Surgeon

SmartLipo and Swelling

+1

Thanks for the question!  Swelling is an expected occurrence with liposuction and it will take a full six months for all of the swelling to resolve.  The lower part of your abdomen will stay swollen the longest as gravity will pull the swelling down.  Wear your garment to help this.  If you hear or feel a "sloshing" sound in your lower belly I suggest you return to see your surgeon to make sure you don't have a "seroma" (you can google search this term).  Best wishes!

Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and swelling

+1

It sounds like you have a lot of swelling.  It takes more than 4 weeks for this to go away. Give it more time.

Bloating after lipo

+1

Without seeing you in person, it is impossible to give you specific recommendations.  However, it may be that you have fluid collecting under that skin (a seroma) which needs to be drained.  Also, lipo, in contract to tummy tuck, does not address the roundness of your abdomen from diastasis or separation of the muscles.  So, it is difficult to give you any advice without seeing pictures or examining you.

Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com