Lower Jaw asymmetry after a road accident. Can it be corrected? (Photo)

Respected Doctors. I had a major road accident which led my jaw to break from both the joints and a crack in the chin area. The doctors could only repair my chin and left side of the jaw. The right side was left to heal on its own because the doctors did not want my case to get dangerous. Its been two years since. When i open my mouth it slants towards right. Otherwise there is no pain or discomfort. But my face looks bent. Can this be corrected safely? Thanks, Sameer India, Mumbai

Facial asymmetry after facial trauma

+1
Thank you for the pictures. Your facial symmetry to your poorly reduced and now healed condyle fracture. This can be remedied with orthodontics and corrective jaw surgery. I would seek treatment by an orthodontist and the plastic surgeon or oral and maxillofacial surgeon.

Jaw Deviation After Fracture

+1
You have opening deviation because the vertical height on your right jaw is shorter due to condylar collapse from an unrepaired fracture. To really repair that you would need a costochondral graft to restore vertical height on that side. Given that your only symptom is jaw deviation on opening, the risks from any operation for improvement (neck scar, infection, graft harvest) are probably not worth it.  

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Jaw fracture

+1
Absolutely. You would probably need to remove the screws, reposition the jaws and place the hardware back again. Not that difficult. 

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon