Multiply Pregnancy & Tummy Tuck At Same Time As C-Section?

We have 2 sets of twins-13 months apart. I had to have 2 c-sections. We aren't 100% sure if we're done having children. I was told if we got pregnant again it would be "twins or more for sure". If we were to get pregnant again and have to have another (3rd) c-section-would I be able to get a tummy tuck after? Can the dr do a tummy tuck while/after doing the csection-time of delivery??? I know I need to lose weight too though. Do I need to lose all the weight I want before having a tummy tuck?

Tummy tuck and a c-section

+1

It is best to have your c-section, enjoy your babies, lose the weight, wait several months, and then consider your tummy tuck. You will be busy with 6 kids!

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

TUmmy tuck and C section

+1

It is best to let your body recover from childbirth before stressing it further with a TT. Ideally you would like to get back to your pre pregnancy weight before a TT.

Jake Lim, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

+1

There is no reason that you could not have a tummy tuck after another delivery, but not at the time of delivery.

The skin and muscles are stretched, pelvic contents enlarged, both a set up for a poor outcome.

Best results will come when your are at or near your desired weight.

Thanks, best wishes,

Tummy Tuck and C-Section should not be performed together

+1

A tummy tuck is an elective procedure that should be performed under ideal circumstances to achieve the best result. A woman should be finished with child bearing and at a stable weight with plenty of responsible adult help at home to speed up the recovery.

I could not think of a worse time for undergoing this procedure then at the time of a C-Section. All of the tissues (skin and muscle) are stretched, your weight is not normal, the risk will be higher for complications (infection, bleeding, blood clots), plus your attention should be on taking care of the newborn(s). What would you do if you ended up in the hospital for complications of the tummy tuck? Who would take care of the kids?

Better to wait until your life and weight have stabilized and let your plastic surgeon give a beautiful tight tummy that you can enjoy for the rest of your life!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

+1

Because of the condition of skin and muscles and the size of the uterus at delivery it is impossible to get the same results from a TT that you would get several months to a year later. I think you would go through the procedure and a year later would regret the decision and then have to pay for another operation to get the results you want.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy tuck and C-section do not mix

+1

It is not a good idea to have a tummy tuck at the time of delivery. Because we cannot adequately tighten the muscles and pull down the abdominal wall, the correction is always less than expected. I would wait at least six months, get in as good shape as you can, lose the pregnancy weight, and perform a full tummy tuck that will address all the issues left from the pregnancy. If you are planning for another pregnancy, I would wait until the factory is closed, and then proceed as above.

John Cassel, MD

Tummy Tuck at same time as C-section

+1

That is a good question. You would for sure get a MUCH better result if you waited to get your tummy tuck after all your tissues have healed, your pregnancy weight is gone, etc. This would be particularly important in your case, since you very well may get pregnant again. While it probably isn't necessary to 'lose all the weight you want' prior to that surgery, I tell my patients that the more weight you lose, the better job I can do and the better result you can expect. Good luck, and congratulations!

Matthew Concannon MD

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck During and After Delivery

+1

Tummy tucks can be done at the time of delivery but it is not the traditional or full tummy tuck procedure. Because of the enlarged uterus, muscle repair is not done and the tummy tuck is limited to the amount of skin that can be easily removed. While producing a significant improvement, it is never as good as a tummy tuck that is done six months or later after delivery. When done well after pregnancy, it is a good idea to lose as much weight as possible to get the best benefit from the tummy tuck procedure.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

C-section at time of TT

+1

I would not recommend those two procedures together as it would not allow you to lose all the weight you might benefit from and consequently long term might compromise your result

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon