Can You Have Multiple Tummy Tucks?

I was told can only have a tummy tuck done once. I only have one child and I plan to have more but I have been having alot of discomfort with diastasis recti. I can only sleep on my right side and It hurts to run or do anything that involves my abs. My seperation is about 3-4 fingers wide.

Tummy tuck revisions.

+2

You can have more than one tummy tuck. It is also possible to have the muscle plication performed more than once. Often times the revision requires only a small amount of skin resection without moving the belly button. If the diastasis is your main concern, correction of this can be performed without reopening the entire incision.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Continuing abdominal pain that is attributing to a rectus diastasis

+2

It is possible to both have and need more than one tummy tuck though, in general, these situations are not very common. You should be evaluated at least by one or more reputable plastic surgeons in your area. In addition, it may be wise to see an internist to make sure that some of your symptoms are not related to other issues. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Can You Have Multiple Tummy Tucks?

+2

Yes it is possible to have more than one TT + MR but it really does not make good surgical practice and the economy of the costs should be considered. Why not finish all your pregnancies first? 

Repeat tummy tucks

+2

The only limitation concerning repeat tummy tucks is if they perform something called an umbilical float. In this case, the belly button is left attached to the skin and it is cut away from the stalk that connects it to the midline of the abdomen. This technique is used when one is trying to avoid a vertical scar from repositioning the belly button in those patients that have limited excess skin above the belly button. In that case, a repeat tummy tuck could lead to a malpostioned belly button. Otherwise, repeat tummy tucks can be done with repair of the diastasis if required.

Julio Garcia, MD

Multiple Tummy Tucks?

+2

Yes it is possible to have “multiple tummy tuck” procedures performed. Usually,  it is in your best interest to have one procedure performed after completion of pregnancies.

Your description of “a lot of discomfort  with diastasis  recti"  is unusual. I would suggest that he be evaluated in person by their primary care physician and/or a general or a plastic surgeon to rule out other causes of your discomfort,  before assuming it is related to the diastasis.  For example, an abdominal wall hernia would explain your symptoms better,  in my opinion.

Multiple tummy tucks?

+2

There's no reason you couldn't have more than one tummy tuck. However there might issues with the scars, especially the one around your belly button, when you go for the second one. The few times I have performed a tummy tuck on women who I knew were going to have more children, I used absorbable sutures to plicate the diastasis, rather than permanent ones like I usually use. The thinking is that I wouldn't want to restrict the stretching of the abdomen during the pregnancy, but it may not make any difference. Plan on the diastasis returning though after the next pregnancy. it would be a bonus if it didn't

Ronald Schuster, MD

Multiple tummy tucks

+1

It is possible to have more than one tummy tuck. If your diastasis recti is severe enough that it interferes with your life as you say it does, then you may want to consider having a tummy tuck now.

Under normal circumstances, it is customary to wait until you are done having children prior to undergoing tummy tuck.

I wish you the best of luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Only one tummy tuck

+1

You can have more than one tummy tuck.The big question is overall health and of course finaces but you can have more. 

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Multiple tummy tucks possible

+1

It is possible to have more than one abdominoplasty, but it is better to have one after completion of childbirth. It is unusual to have discomfort with abdominal wall laxity. You might have a ventral hernia. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate what might be a serious condition.

Donna Rich, MD