Is It Safe to Have Multiple Procedure on the Face at Once?

I have acne scars on my face and also quite a bit of facial hair. I am considering either a chemical peel or some other alternative, but I also want to remove facial hair at the same time with laser treatment. I am wondering is doing the chemical peel and laser treatment in a period of 6 months ruin my skin or make it really sensitive? I need to see immediate results by beginning of next year, that's why I want multiple treatments. This would really decide whether I'll do the treatments or not.

Treating acne scars

+1

For an overall retexturizing of facial skin, fractionalized lasers work quite well.  It may require several treatments spread a few months apart, but the improvement is worth it.

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Acne scar treatments

+1

You must see a physician to evaluate you because every acne scar is different. Some require more aggressive laser treatments. It is rare that a chemical peel can improve acne scars unless it is a deep chemical peel, but that is rarely done these days. A medium depth chemical peel with dry ice first on the scars and then the chemical peel, as described by Dr. Harold Brody, Georgia, can effect an improvement, but many doctors are not trained in this technique. Fraxel resurfacing can help acne scars provided that they are not of the “ice pick” type. Laser hair removal would be better tolerated when done near (not the same day) the time of Fraxel, but it wouldn’t be done close to the time of a medium depth chemical peel.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Multiple approaches for treating acne scars.

+1

Probably, if you are like most patients with acne scars, all of your scars do not look the same. I would also say that not every scar will respond equally to any modality.

If you need to look your best, and you are in a big hurry then you may want to start with the worst area first . We use subcisions (freeing the underlayer from the top with a large bore needle) for depressed scars. We do mini punch grafts or excisions for ice pick scarring. For hyperpigmentation, bleaches or chemical peeling may come in handy. Products containing retinoic acids will also help you look your best and help keep the new acne at bay.

Good luck!

Beverly Johnson, MD
Washington DC Dermatologist

Multiple Facial Procedures

+1

You can have the various procedures you have indicated but make sure you wait for six months in between and have completely healed from the first procedure.

I would do the peel first. The new skin grows from pilosebaceous units and it will help to have the hair follicles still intact.

Make sure you have not been on Accutane.

Also, keep in mind the above applies to caucasian skin without a tan. If you are of darker skin or have a tan, then reduce the intensity of procedures.

Also consider Sculptra and subcision for ance scarrinng. This is a safer approach than a chemical peel.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon