Will Multiple Nose Issues Cause More Post Rhinoplasty Pain?

Hello,I am hispanic female with strong face figures, concerned on that fact I have multiple issues going on w my nose, dorsal hump, crooked, tip, size, length,etc. its gotten worse throughout the years due to alot of different circumstances, however i am wondering because there is alot of issues there, will i experience more pain after the surgery? Also would i have to do more then 1 surgery bc the extent of work? And finally any words of advice? Thank you, I truly appreciate it!

Worried about pain after Rhinoplasty

+2

I understand that your are worried and afraid of the unkown, including pain, after your Rhinoplasty.  I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and I think that you can have a Rhinoplasty by a good surgeon and little discomfort after the procedure.  Controlling pain is one of the things that is in the surgeon's control.  I block all the sensory (pain) nerves around the nose with a long acting novacaine-like injection as soon as the patient is asleep and under anesthesia.  This, even with surgical breaks to the nose...as is your particular case, the patients feel just a dull ache after the surgery that is well controlled with mild pain medication.  I do not use any nasal packing after Rhinoplasty (unless a sepyoplasty is performed as well..in which case I use 2 small pieces of telfs) as pulling packing out of the nose the first post-op day is one of the most painful parts of a Rhinoplasty and I see no benefit in using packing.  You should be fine and have no reason to worry IMHO.

Rhinoplasty

+1

An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will most likely be able to address all of your concerns in a single surgery with minimal discomfort. Do your research and find a surgeon that you are comfortable with after your personal consultation.

Gary Motykie, MD

Pain after rhinoplasty

+1

The pain after a rhinoplasty is rather minimal and very few pain pills are needed.  If your nose is being packed by an inexperienced surgeon, then you will have pain due to the packing.  Packing is totally unnecessary.  Closed rhinoplasty will hurt less than open due to the limited nature of the incisions.  It is important to find a rhinoplasty surgeon who has performed many thousands of ethnic rhinoplasties so as to get the best possible result.  It is also important to have your surgery done in a certified ambulatory surgery center with your anesthesia also being performed by a board certified anesthesiologist.  

Multiple Rhinoplasty Procedures and Pain

+1

Almost none of my rhinoplasty patients ever complain of post-operative pain. An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to take care of all your problems in one sugical session. Above all, choose a surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty and can show you lots of good results.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Nasal Issues Should Not Result in More Painful Recovery From Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi BM,

Fortunately, rhinoplasty recover is usually relatively pain free.  My patients have a feeling of nasal congestion and at worst, sinus headache type discomfort.  Usually Tylenol is the only analgesic needed, though patients are given a few tablets of Vicodin just in case, or to be used before they go to sleep.  Rhinoplasty should be a one surgery procedure, though patients need to know that there is a 5 to 15% rhinoplasty revision rate.

The best advice that I can give you is to take your time in choosing your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Multiple nASAL Issues and Post Rhinoplasty Pain

+1

In the hands of an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon only one operation will be necessary and pain will be minor and short-lived. Select a surgeon that does a lot of hispanic noses - there are physical differences among various ethnic groups.  

There is typically not significant pain after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concern. Even if you require nasal shortening, tip refinement, and bump removal, you should not have a painful post-operative course: especially if there is no packing placed in your nose. In my practice, nasal packing is unnecessary for the majority of my patients, and very few patients require narcotic analgesics.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ:

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Generally, rhinoplasty should not be very painful and the discomfort will be controlled with pain medicatiion. Most often, the ethnic rhinoplasty such as Hispanic noses require extensive refinement such as careful and moderate thinning of thick tip skin, refinement of nasal cartilages as well as alar repositioning technique to reduce the wide nasal base, but these should not cause more discomfort.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Multiple nose issues and rhinoplasty pain.

+1

No! The pain should be very minimal at most. The best thing you need  to do is spend a lot of time looking for an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural looking noses.