What Can I Do To Treat Acne Scars, Acne and Whiteheads?

I go tanning because i have horrible acne to it helps alot. I've tried every acne med & it doesnt work. My acne is diffrent, i have tons & tons of whiteheads on my face. They become itchy, then they turn into a pimple. & i also have acne holes in my face. I apply a naturual collagen cream day & night. Is there anything to do for my acne holes and smile lines in my face?

Treatment of acne and acne scars

+1

Your acne appears to be in different stages - whiteheads (comedones), pimples (pustules) and acne scars. It's most important to treat the underlying cause of your acne problem. That usually involves combination of creams and pills. You may require treatment with accutane - the only acne treatment that actually gives you a chance for a cure (80% of patients). Photodynamic therapy may also help.

Treatment for Acne and Acne Scarring

+1

Treating acne can be very difficult as there are no perfect treatments and many factors such as hormones, genetics, environment and stress (to name a few) can affect acne. That being said, I have had very good success with my acne patients using a combination of over-the-counter, prescription and in-office treatments. There are no two individuals whose acne are identical and therefore, there are no two patients of mine with an identical regimen.  In the last year I have used Isolaz on many of my acne patients, especially those with a lot of whiteheads, with great success.  It works especially well after several treatments and in conjunction with other acne treatments. Acne "holes, otherwise referred to as acne scarring (and there are many different types of acne scars) can be improved tremendously with certain in-office treatments including filling (with an injectable filler) and/or resurfacing with elecrodessication or laser.  I am not convinced that creams such as your "collagen cream" will improve acne scarring.  I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist with a busy acne practice and experience treating acne scarring. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Tanniing beds are not an acne treatment--they cause skin cancer

+1

First, stop using the tanning beds and then make an appointment with a board-certified dermatologist. There are many effective, prescription acne treatments that a qualified professional can discuss with you- tanning beds are not on the list. Using a tanning bed significantly increases your risk of skin cancer (and wrinkles) so also get a full body skin examination.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Stop tanning immediately

+1

This question makes me so sad. Tanning causes melanoma and skin cancer and makes the skin so much more susceptible to other skin problems, wrinkles, and discoloration. If you are tanning, you are simply ruining your skin. It does not help cure acne. It helps hide the acne by damaging the skin and burning it, which leads to future problems. There is no safe tanning, other than spray tanning. You need to see a dermatologist for options for prescription acne medications and to most likely treat some of the skin conditions you've created by tanning. Stop tanning now, or I promise you will have severe repercussions later!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD