Multiple Procedures Okay to Do?

I am 38 y/o and have selected a PS. Originally I was aiming for full TT and BA w/ reduction of areola. He suggested lipo of my flanks/hips for an ultimate result of that area. Is it safe to do all these procedures at once or should I do in stages? I have slight Mitral Insufficiency (cardiologist gave the OK for the TT), but I'm wondering if its discouraged to have these multiple procedures given the Mitral Insufficiency?

Multiple Procedures Okay to Do?

+2

These procedures are commonly done at one setting, provided they can be done in a short enough time frame, and that will depend on how extensive the surgery is, and the individual surgeon's pace. 

I like to limit to 4 hours, and that should be enough. Most observe a 6 hour limit. I would ask your surgeon for a time estimate, and  run that by your cardiologist who may have assumed approval was given for a 2 hour operation. 

All the best. 

Multiple Procedures Okay to Do?

+2

Tummy tuck with liposuction of flanks and hips with breast augmentation and areolar reduction would only take about 3 hrs or so and is safe in healthy patients.  The cardiologist would have to give clearance for the procedures.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of mommy makeovers each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Mommy makeover combined procedures safe if under 6 hours

+2

Combining procedures under one anesthetic is commonly done for a mommy makeover, and the mitral valve issue should not have much influence. In my opinion, if you are healthy, appropriate weight (BMI <30), and the surgery is done in an accredited facility in under 6 hours of anesthesia time, then it is reasonable to combine.

Richard Baxter, MD

Safety of Mommy Makeover Procedures

+2

Breast and Body Contouring procedures are commonly  done at the same surgical session if you are the right candidate, and the combined procedure is performed efficiently within a reasonable amount of time to allow for a safe outpatient procedure.  You are young, and your mitral insufficiency sounds like a mild issue that your cardiologist is not too concerned about. I would discuss the plans for the combined procedure, as well as the length of time you will be under general anesthesia, with both your Plastic Surgeon and Cardiologist to  determine the safest way to proceed. Additionally, you should be of relatively normal weight, a non-smoker, and free from additional medical problems that could add risk. I usually advise a monitored overnight stay after abdominoplasty surgery and combined procedures. 

Hayley Brown, MD

Multiple Procedures

+1

Multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting. But it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done. Your surgeon may recommend an overnight stay depending on the overall length of your procedure(s).  Please confirm that your plastic surgeon is board certified plastic surgeon specifically by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Safety of multiple procedures, “Mommy Makeovers”.

+1

Combination procedures including a breast augmentation/breast lift and tummy tuck are commonly performed. Whether you are a reasonable candidate for those procedures depends on your anatomy, your medical history, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the various procedures. Safety should always be the main concern It is generally recommended that the length of elective surgery be less than six hours. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the national organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or in a licensed hospital. I would recommend an overnight stay at an appropriate facility where you can be appropriately monitored. Most patients prefer undergoing one anesthesia and one recovery period which is usually more cost effective.

You should discuss your concerns with the plastic surgeon and have a consultation to see what is safe and makes the most sense for you.

Before proceeding with any of these procedures, you need medical clearance from your cardiologist and a discussion between your cardiologist and plastic surgeon who should be certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Safety of combined procedures

+1

I would suggest speaking to your cardiologist about your proposed surgeries and what he recommends for time under anesthesia. If he has any concern, I would suggest having the procedure done at a hospital facility in case you have any cardiac issues afterwards. If your cardiologist feels that you have very little risk, then the procedures can be done at an accrediated facility. I also suggest speaking to your plastic surgeon and discussing the time needed for surgery. Combined procedures are done safely on many women at outpatient facilities.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Safety of Mommy Make Over

+1

Thank you for your question about having liposuction with your tummy tuck and breast augmentation and areolar lift.

• It is safe - and standard - to add the flank liposuction to a tummy tuck.
  • Surgery of 6 hours or less is generally considered safe - although under 4 hours ideal.
  • Your surgeon should take with your cardiologist to be sure the plan is safe for you.
  • If surgery is split into two operations, have tummy tuck + lipo in one, breast augmentation and breast lift later. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Multiple procedures in a mommy makeover

+1

You will need medical clearance from your cardiologist prior to having a tummy tuck and breast procedure. If the entire surgery can be completed in a reasonable amount of time( <6 hrs), patients generally do quite well. As for your mitral insufficiency, this is a specific question for your cardiologist.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Multiple Procedures (Tummy Tuck and Breast Surgery) OK?

+1

Combination surgical procedures are done on a routine basis. However,  it is best to evaluate each patient on an individualized basis. During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY  of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance.  Plastic surgeon, anesthesia provider, duration of surgery, surgery facility all important  considerations.