Is It Ok To Do Multiple Procedures At Once? Is It Too Long to be Put Under?

I'm scheduled for surgery next month. I'm having a full tummy tuck, breast lift, implants and lipo on my upper and lower back. I believe I've found a great surgeon in my state, he is board certified, comes highly recommended and has many years of experience. The surgery will be performed in his office ,my question is, are all these procedures safe to do at once? I am in excellent health , but 6-7 hours under anesthesia sounds very scary. Is this something that one surgeon can do on his own?

Multiple procedures make sense, multiple surgeries do not.

+2

Although there is no safe maximal time for surgery, it does make sense to have multiple procedures done at the same time.  Time under anesthesia does matter. Plastic surgeons have a long, safe track record using these tecniniques.  However, multiple general anesthetics a few days apart is a set up for terrible complications.  Often an assistant plastic surgeon is recommended.  The extra expense is well worth your safety and improved outcome.

Are multiple procedures safe?

+2

This combination of procedures is very safe and not unusual. Sounds like you found a good surgeon but just make sure his office facility is fully accredited. I would suggest being the first case of the day. In case it takes you a little longer to recover, you will be able to spend additional time in the office to be cared for. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Multiple surgeries in Ambulatory Surgery Center

+1

This combination of procedures - tummy tuck, augmentation/mastopexy and back liposuction - is commonly performed in an Ambulatory Surgery Center setting. As long as you are healthy and you have met with a board certified plastic surgeon in an accredited, well-staffed facility, you should be fine. Feel free to inquire with your surgeon about the surgical facility.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

+1

My limit is about 6 1/2 - 7 hours of surgery and we do multiple things at the same time but my habit is to have the patient admitted to a recovery care facility for overnight, and not be discharged with home...It just makes me feel better to have nurses keep an eye on patients after that long of a surgery....

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Multiple procedures

+1

Multiple procedures are possible in the right candidate who is in good health.  If you are concerned, then it is perfectly reasonable to stage them.

Safety of multiple plastic surgery procedures

+1

It sounds like you have found a board certified plastic surgeon who you trust and like.  I would recommend you express your concerns with him.  

Many plastic surgeons prefer to combine procedures such as these.  The benefit is convenience for the surgeon and patient and a single recovery period.  Let me emphasize that there is nothing wrong with this line of thinking and you will likely do fine with your combination of procedures.  However, let me offer an alternate opinion.

In my practice, I would routinely separate these procedures into two or three procedures separated by a few days.  Being healthy, potentially this could be done within a weeks time, still having a single recovery period.   I have a very small appetite for surgical risk.  Combining abdominoplasty, breast surgery and liposuction has a much higher risk of DVT than I am comfortable with. 

The benefits of separating the procedures are many including decreased risks and an easier "bite sized" recovery from each procedure.  I also find myself having a better focus on each procedure.  Also, doing the procedures separately also allows me the opportunity to avoid a general anesthesia, further enhancing the recovery.  

We do this kind of procedure sequencing routinely with around 20% of our patients having more than one procedure within the same week.  I have never had a patient cancel or reschedule the second surgery.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon