Multiple Procedures at One Time. Second Opinion?

Surgeon recommends gynecomastia surgery be performed at same time as blepharoplasty and fat injection to reduce cost. Is this advisable or should I avoid doing at one time? I am worried about recovery from multiple procedures.

Combination procedures with eyelid surgery are common

+1

I routinely perform eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) with gynecomastia surgery and body contouring.  This is more comvenient for the patient as far as one time to heal.  I have found that eyelid surgery takes time to heal but is not very painful.  Icing with swiss eye therapy and drop and ointment is really all that has to be done.  You cannot typically drive for a week or at least a few days after eyelid surgery.  Adding the fat injections and the gynecomastia wont make this longer.  Most of my gynecomastia patients are back working after 1 day off. 

Advantages & Disadvantages Of Multiple Surgeries

+1

There are both benefits and risks of having multiple surgeries performed at the same time.  The advantages are a single recovery period and (sometimes) financial  incentives.  The risks are greater with prolonged anesthetics, but with the procedures you described this probably would be safe.

John Whitt, MD

Multiple procedures at the same time

+1

It is reasonable to perform multiple procedures together, as long as the patient is healthy, and the surgery is not too extensive.  Good luck.

Gynecomastia can be treated together with other procedures.

+1

Hi

The combination you are considering sounds very reasonable.  Its all about minimizing risk, and this should be safe.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Multiple procedures can be helpful for a patient in good health

+1

For most of us our most precious commodity is time.  A surgery that can be performed in two hours may require days or weeks of recovery.  For that reason it is often helpful to combine procedures.  The benefits of a single recovery are obvious.

The two procedures that you desire, gynecomastia correction and blepharoplasty, are not physiologically stressful and as a general rule could be combined safely.

It is important for your plastic surgeon to carefully consider your medical history.  Problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or heart problems might alter the recommendation for a combined procedure.  As with all recommendations for surgery, it is important that the plastic surgeon consider the entire patient.

John Q. Cook, MD

Gynecomastia and Blepharoplasty

+1

I would not have a problem with performing gynecomastia surgery and blepharoplasty at the same time.My answer assumes you are in good health.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Multiple procedures can reduce cost

+1

Provided you are up to the recovery, procedures can be safely combined and there is a cost savings over having them done separately.

Yes, Multiple Procedures at one time, can be done.

+1

It is common to combine multiple surgeries, and the two you are comtemplating would be a suitable combination. There is typically a benefit to doing this, one is the financial benefit and the second would be having only one recovery period. The negative would be not having sufficient time from work, or not having the funds to cover both procedures at one time.

Kenneth A. Marshall, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Combination procedures

+1
The procedures you mention can be performed in one surgical session. The recovery from one would not countraindicate the other. This is a personal decision. If you are uncomfortable or have a limited amount of time off from work then, even if will cost more to have two procedures, it might be a reasonable thing to consider. Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

I do multiple procedures all the time

+1

I do multiple procedures all the time. There is a cost saving to the patient to do a few procedures at once. Also there is only one recovery period. But, if you are worried, split them up.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD