Multiple Procedures at the Same Time? (Breast/Nose/Lipo)

Is it safe to have a liposuction, breast augmentation AND a rhinoplasty at the same time? I was recently diagnosed with iron-deficiency anemia and taking prescription-strength iron supplements (as recommended by my physician). Depending on my progress, I am hoping to have the surgery in one month. My HGB is 10.

Combining procedures

+2

Combining the procedure you describe should not be a problem, but it depends in a few factors.  First, you should have your blood count rechecked prior to surgery to make sure taking the iron solved the problem.  If not, you may need a further work up to rule out other causes of anemia.  When combining procedures, I prefer not to operate on a patient for more than six to seven hours max, but it is usually a matter of the individual surgeon to decide.

Performing multiple surgeries at the same time ... is it safe?

+2

Statistically we know that there are more complications when surgeries are long or we do multiple surgeries at once. It is up to the operating surgeon to manage these risks on an individual basis with each patient.  If you are unsure that you are physically up to the amount of surgery you have scheduled it may be prudent to seek another opinion from our regular physician.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Multiple procedures and anemia

+2

Having multiple procedures  performed is OK as long as they are done in a reasonable amount of time, do not cause a lot of blood loss, and you are healthy.  As for your anemia, a hematologist should be advising you on the proper management and workup.

Multiple procedures at same time

+2

It is not uncommon to have multiple procedures performed at the same time (the advantages typically include lower cost and combined recovery time) -- the limitations to being able to do this safely involve considerations of your general health, what the procedures are, and the total length of surgical time since the longer you are under anesthesia the more you may be at risk for certain complications.  These are issues that you should definitely discuss with your plastic surgeon.  Most surgeons will do multiple procedures if these procedures can be performed safely and with minimal extra risk.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Multiple procedures with newly diagnosed iron-deficiency anemia

+2

In my practice, multiple procedures are not to exceed 6 hrs. total under general anesthesia. This is a reasonable rule with a healthy patient. I would expect your PS repeat the HGB to ensure that it is well within the normal limits right before your surgery. If not, further diagnostic tests to find the cause are in order.

Kind regards,

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Safety of Multiple Procedures

+2

Definitely, having multiple procedures under one anesthetic has advantages and can overlap the recovery. Our decision is based on safety and we individualize the surgical plan to the patient and risk factors. Blood loss is a factor that in your case would the primary factor to consider. One would not want to have to transfuse a patient for purely elective surgery. Therefore, correcting the anemia would be wise beforehand and would also enhance the healing of wounds and recovery.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Multiple procedures

+2
Hello, In our practice we do multiple procedures all the time. Make sure your doctor knows your health issue and that your anemia is under control. After surgery you also want to make sure you follow very carefully your surgeons instructions.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Breast Enhancement

+1
Yes I think it is reasonable as these procedures should be done wellwithin 6 hours and none have a significant bleeding risk so I think the benefits outweigh the risks

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Multiple Plastic Surgery Procedures Performed at Same Time

+1

Receiving multiple plastic surgery procedures at one time undoubtedly increases the risk of surgical complications. However, plastic surgeons commonly perform multiple procedures at once as long as the patient is in good overall health and depending on the extent of the procedures pursued. If you were 100% healthy, I’d be concerned about a very intense recovery. However, because of your anemia, I would be very hesitant to recommend surgery of this extent or even any surgery at all until your HGB is back to normal. I would advise discussing your prospective procedures with your hematologist or general physician as well as discussing your anemia with your plastic surgeon to determine if this is a safe option right now or if it should be postponed.

David Whiteman, MD

Multiple Procedures At The Same Time

+1

Hi,

Your anemia is a red flag that if not solved you may not be able to undergo surgery.

Given the fact that you have your anemia eliminated before the surgery, I believe that you should be fine undergoing the surgeries you have described as far as they are performed within a reasonable amount of time.

The longer the surgeries take, the higher the risk complications will get.

I recommend that you work on solving the anemia problem and get tested before you undergo your surgeries to make sure that you are at a safe place.

Pushing your limits and taking chances will do you more harm than good.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of wishes.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS