Does Having Multiple Procedures Done in One Session Reduce Optimal Results?

I am interested in having a TT with lipo to the flanks (especially the bra line) and a breast lift w/ augmentation. I do not plan on having these procedures done until after my 20lbs weight loss (in progress) in order to optimize my results. My concern is whether I should have all of these procedures done in one session or multiple sessions? Safety and optimal results are very important to me. What are your recommendations?

Multiple procedure safety

+2

Your question has been looked at in several studies and it has been shown that doing multiple procedures at once, within acceptable time restraints, is not any less safe.  The combination that you mention is a common combination in my practice.  I almost always would recommend doing these procedures at the same time as it is just one recovery and should save you a considerable amount of money.  Be sure to discuss your options with your surgeon and make sure that your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Gary Hall,MD

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Procedures Done in One Session

+1

Provided that you choose an experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeon, the surgeon will not recommend a combination of surgeries that will not provide optimal results as his/her reputation is on the line with your results. After you reach your target weight, consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to explore your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Combination procedures safe

+1

The combination that you want is commonly performed and is part of a mommy makeover. These procedures are safe in combination with no proven increased risk. Also, you can expect similar results whether the procedures are performed separately or togethere during one session.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Combining procedure

+1

The combination of breast surgery with a tummy tuck and a little lipo is a common  request.  It is generally safe to do these at the same time.  I often perform this combination and the surgery typically takes about 6 hours. If a combination of procedures is going to take significantly longer than that amount of time, I will often recommend that they be done separately.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Combination procedures

+1

Combining some procedures is ok as long as your are healthy and they can be accomplished safely in a reasonable amount of time.  Good luck.

Multiple procedures

+1

Alot depends on the skill of your surgeon and his comfort level.also how is your overall health?The other question is how long will it take the surgeon to accomplish all those procedures?The longer you are asleep the greater the risk and morbidity is.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Procedres and Results

+1

There is a limit to how much can be done at one time and still maintain a high level of safety. Very long cases have higher risk and results can be affected due to surgeon fatigue.

However, a tummy tuck with flank liposuction are commonly done together and tend to have excellent results. Also, a breast augmentation with a lift is also common However, in some cases, a surgeon may wish to stage these procedures for better results (first a lift, then the implants). This is determined by your specific breast qualities and desired outcome.

If your surgeon is skilled and efficient, all 4 procedures could be done at once, but it would be OK to stage them also.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Multiple procedures and results.

+1

The key to optimizing results with multiple operations are to keep the overall surgery time within reason, do not have procedures done where the recovery requirements are contradictory, and to stage procedures if there is a high likelihood of revision necessary.

Keeping surgery times under say 6 hours helps with anesthesia recovery as well as reducing surgeon fatigue. Recovery for different procedures can cause concerns -> for instance a tummy tuck recovery often requires use of the arms to assist with getting out of a chair, bed, etc. Combining this procedure with an arm lift would be less wise. In patients with massive weight loss, an abdominoplasty usually requires a revision due to the inelastic nature of the skin. Performing this procedure in the first stage allows for revisions at the time of a facelift or thigh lift if necessary.

Breast procedures and abdominoplasty are very commonly performed together because they satisfy these requirements. This is commonly referred to as a "mommy makeover."

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover approach is prudent

+1

The combination of procedures that you are considering is a very common one and also considered to be one form of a mommy makeover. Your plan sound quite prudent.

If your surgeon is proficient and is a reputable board certified plastic surgeon, this planned approach is the best way to go. However, very prolonged operative times particularly associated with a tummy tuck can increase your risks such as for clots in your legs and lungs. Otherwise, you will be saving recuperative times and lots of money by combining the procedures.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

If multliple procedures planned-best to do in stages

+1

Hi,

Great question! In general it is recommended that elective surgery under general anesthesia does not go over 6 hours. This helps minimize risks and complications associated with being 'under' for extended periods of time. Certain procedures take longer than others. "Quality is better than quantity" in most cases, and it certainly applies with plastic surgery. Look for an experienced Board Certified Plastic surgeon to increase return on your investment. Best wishes, Dr. H

FYI, you may want to re-think getting implants with a lift. There's a new technique that does not require an implant to achieve upper pole fullness after weight loss or pregnancy. This lift also does not include a vertical scar. Breasts are perky/firm and look very natural. It is called the Ultimate Breast Lift - it's worth looking into.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon