Are Multiple Lipomas a Symptom of Cancer?

I am now 50 years old, when I was 25 years I saw some solid things in my law back, arms, chests and stomach. I visited a doctor and diagnosed that it is a multiple liphoma.the first doctor advised me to remove it but the other doctor says if it is not increase in size and not painful he advised me to leave it., even they are not seen unless I touch them. I feel pain some times, still doesn't grow or increase in size.is it a symptom of cancer? What do u advice me to do?

Lipoma

+2

This is not a symptom of cancer. the chance for cancer to appear in a lipoma is rare. remove if it bothers you or it is growing in size.

the surgery is very minor so i always have a low threshold for removing them if there is any concern about cancer.

the chance for a cancer is 1 in a 100,000 or a million but the surgery takes 15 minutes in the office and the only 100% test is to send the specimen to the pathologist.

Ashburn General Surgeon

Multiple Lipomas are Not Cancer

+1
You most likely have the diagnosis of familial lipomatosis (other family members will have the same problem). Lipomatosis is believed to be a dominant trait in which multiple lipomas are present. Most are discrete, encapsulated lipomas on the trunk and extremities.Although they may increase with weight gain, weight loss doesn't improve them in my experience. In general  this is NOT related to cancer or developing cancer.
Although this condition is benign, many patients concerned with cosmesis seek removal of individual tumors. Treatment can include simple excision, endoscopic removal, or liposuction if large. Liposuction, whether laser Liposuction or traditional will leave some of the lipoma cells behind which over time will probably recur though it may take years. There is nothing special about laser lipo vs regular liposuction to take care of your problem. I published the first article on lipo removal of large lipomas and believe this technique can be used knowing that you will probably have to repeat it when the lipomas eventually recur. However, this may be a reasonable option to minimize the number of scars.
Find the most qualified plastic surgeon with experience with this problem to discuss your options and to take care of you.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS