Is Using Multiple Lasers Safe? Ultherapy, IPL Fraxel Re:fine?

I want to do do Ultherapy, 1 IPL, 1 Fraxel Re:fine to target pore size, volume and pigmentation/redness. Is it safe to do all of these treatments? And how long should I wait in between each of them?

Ultherapy can be used along with Fraxel and IPL

+1

I typically suggest ultherapy be done first for tightening (not volume) and lifting. Then the fraxel can be done for pore size (although the results are significant for some and non-existent for others) and pigmentation, and finally, after the series of Fraxels are done (usually every month for 5 or 6 treatments). Finally, the redness and any residual pigmentation can be treated with IPL.

Ultherapy does not help with volume

+1

You mention three treatments but Ultherapy will do nothing for any of your stated concerns.  It can tighten tissue, but will not increase volume and one treatment of the fraxel or IPL will do very little anyway.  Fraxel requires multiple treatments (4-6) to see results as does IPL.  It sounds as if you are being oversold treatments, and although you want to tackle everything at once, I recommend to my patients that they prioritize the issue that bothers them the most and treat that one first. That way you'll see the most significant results first, then continue down the line with the rest.

Good Luck!

Lee P. Laris, DO
Phoenix Dermatologist

Multiple Lasers in a sequence is fine, but probably not the best choice to undertake all at once

+1

My recommendation is that you have these procedures individually if you have the time and which one you have first will guide the time span between. The safety of each technology is proven and the technologies are different - Fraxel being the only laser.

As to which to have first, that will be a choice you and your physician make. Letting your skin rest after Ultherapy makes sense as a lot goes on during that procedure at various levels. You may have some swelling and possibly some bruising. Fraxel will produce very tiny microdots where the tissue coagulates, but these fall off rather quickly. IPL breaks up the melanin granules so they come to the surface and look like coffee grounds and then flake off.

The only question as to which ones or any "if" lies in your medical history and skin condition - both which need to be incorporated in any treatment plan and decision.

Ultherapy will lift, but won't impact volume (a job for fillers or your own fat). IPL will help with pigmentation and redness but often takes more than one session to get the job done right. Fraxel Re:fine, like IPL, might take more than once too to notice a discernible difference in pore size appearance.

Another option to consider is topical treatments for pigmentation and pore visibility. And as always, sunscreen will make a difference for just about every issue.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Ultherapy, IPL and Fraxel re;fine can all be done on the same day with a skilled doctor.

+1

Doing these treatments on the same day can be done if your are working with a skilled doctor who knows what order to do them in.  This is very important to avoid problems.  If these treatments are done in the right order using the right settings, they should be very safe.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon