Multiple Eyelid Creases

I have a lot of eyelid creases/folds. How do I correct this? My eyes protrude and are quite large. To add, while it is not apparent in this picture (due to the angle and the lighting), my facial bone structure causes my eyes to appear sunken in, and I am prone to shadows near the upper nose-eye region. For now, I'd like to tackle the multiple eyelid creases--the extra meat I have above my eyes causes my large eyes to appear even heavier and more unattractive.

Multiple lid creases

+2

Dear Interested, You seem to have prominent eyes relative to the surrounding edges of the eye socket bones.  This is more common in persons of color (African American, Hispanic, etc) or people with a thyroid condition.  In any case, surgery around the eyes is fraught with much more complications in patients with prominent eyes.  I would be very careful in choosing a surgeon to help you.  Certainly with the amount of white showing on the bottom of your eyes, you would be at very high risk of not being able to close your eyes if someone raised your lids.  Even removing slightly too much skin, or gonig too deep into the upper lid to get rid of the extra folds may cause you these problems.  Be careful, and see an eyelid specialist. 

Yoash Enzer, MD

Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

Treatment of Excess Upper Eyelid Skin

+2

You have a lot going on. Simply put, your eyes are prominent causing the lower eyelid to be lower than normal, and your upper eyelid is too low and with too much skin causing extra creases. First, you need an evaluation to see if your facial bone structure is the cause or you eye prominence or if it is caused by something else, such as hyperthyroid disease. Once this is determined, you can discuss what you wish to do. When you do remove the extra skin in the upper lids, you should, probably, also have the ptosis (upper lid droop) fixed also. Make sure you see a Plastic Surgeon who has extensive experience around the eye.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

You have multiple crease and upper eyelid ptosis.

+2

Dear Interested

Because you have very prominent eyes and inferior scleral show, whatever is done, must be very conservative.  This discussion is not medical care and is not a substitute for an actual consultation.  It appears that you have excessive skin in the upper eyelid platform.  You would benefit from an anchor blepharoplasty were a small amount of skin is removed on the upper eyelid platform.  The levator aponeurosis needs to be exposed and tightened and the eyelid platform skin and muscle needs to be placed on gentle traction to this structure.  This can and should be done conservatively.  Examples of this type of surgery can be found on my website.

Plastic eyelid surgery to correct multiple creases is risky in patients with prominent eyes

+1

Be careful. Your eyes are prominent, a condition that can be Proptosis. Surgery to remove upper eyelid creases involves removing some of the upper eyelid skin.

The risk in patients with prominent eyes or Proptosis is that removing skin from the upper eyelid may shorten the lid and result in dry eye which is a very serious complication

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Eyelid Surgery Specialist for Multiple Eyelid Creases

+1

Your perception is understandable but there are many factors need to be taken into consideration before you choose to undergo blepharoplasty or upper eyelid surgery. It's best you see a specialist with experience with prominent eyes before you make any decisions.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Multiple eyelid creaes

+1

Hi

I would be very careful with surgery as you are young and also have facial characteristics which are prone to higher rates of complications.  You can certainly have a minor procedure to reform one crease to the upper lids with minimal skin excision (if appropriate on examiantion).  However, this may also lead to a more hollowed look to the upper lid above the crease.  Sometimes fillers can acheive the same result while avoiding surgery (this would require evaluation).

Deep injections of filler (Restylane) over the bone under the eye may lift the lower lids and give your eyes a less prominent appearance.

Please see an well trained oculoplastic surgeon so that you get the best advice

Guy Massry, MD

Upper Eyelid Belpharoplasty for Creases

+1

I would recommend an upper eyelid blepharoplasty . Whether any fat removal is needed is hard to say from the photos. Be careful here because excess fat removal can cause the eyes to look even more hollow and sunken in.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid lift may help you

+1
You have mild ptosis and also sclera show. You picture does not show the check bone and your eye Bonnie fram. You will need in person consultation and your surgeon should be very conservative with skin removal.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Multiple eyelid creases

+1

You need conservative removal of upper lid skin. The other issues are more complicated and can only be discussed after a thorough examination.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon