Multiple Areas for Smart Lipo?

I am considering Smart Lipo for my abdomen, hips, and buttocks. Will I be able to do all areas in one session, considering what I've heard that no more than 5 liters can be removed?

Limits to number of areas for Smart Lipo and Slim Lipo

+1

The number of areas treated may be based on several factors.  The overall volume removed is one big factor and you alluded to 5L being the limit.  This is a good and reasonable safe end-point.  The other is whether you are considering doing this under anesthesia or straight local.  You may only tolerate so much surgery with straight local. Other factors include post-operative discomfort which will rise when multiple areas are considered.  You should budget for more downtime if you increase the number of areas.  Finally, I would say that your overall health and body habits will help you determine if you tackle multiple areas to reach the 5L mark or not.  Good luck.

You may need to split the sessions.

+1

Hello

Five liters is a good end point, but there are other considerations. The nice thing about Smartlipo is that it is done under local anesthesia. The down side is that there is a limit in how much local anesthesia can be given safely without having problems from the Xylocaine.

You will not be limited by the 5 liters as I doubt that your surgeon could give you enough local to remove 5 liters. Rather, you will be limited by how much tumescent fluid can be put in.

In an average weight woman (say 140 lbs), you are probably limited to about 2 or 3 liters of tumescent solution with xylocaine. That means that you could probably have 2 or 3 liters removed at one time.

The additional limiting factor is time. Smarltipo takes longer to do, so patients do not like being awake on a table for more than about 3 hours. They start to become fidgety and things like going to the bathroom become a concern.

So have a plan with your surgeon and be ready to come back for a second session. Best of luck.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon