Multiphase Fat Transfer to Breasts - How Long Between Procedures?

I recently had a combined lipo/fat transfer to breasts procedure, and was hoping for more of a volume increase. If I decide to have the procedure done again, how long should I wait before the second procedure? Can the fat be harvested from the same places that it was previously?

Fat Transfer to the Breasts

+1

Fat transfer to the breast is fast becoming popular in a way similar to buttock augmentation. Unfortunately, large volume fat transfer is in it's infancy, and much is still not known about how to do it in the best way to retain the volume gotten.  Stem cell augmentation of the transfered fat HAS NOT shown to improve the results in any meaningful way, and the consensus amongst plastic surgeon scientists is that purified stem cells should NOT be injected into the breasts.  Currently, a vacuum system called Brava seems to get a 50% to 60% survival of fat transfered.  Without this system you are can probably expect less than half the fat transfered to survive.  If the fat that was transfered was not high quality solid fat cells, even less will survive.

It takes 3 to 6 months to see a final result, to allow for resorption of necrotic/dead fat.  I would not have a revision until that time.  To give you an idea of the amount of fat required to get an 'average' breast augmentation of 300cc, after accounting for an ideal survival of 50%, then 600cc of high quality solid fat is required for each breast, or 1200cc.  High quallity liposuction aspirate is only about 50% solid fat cells, so 2400cc of fat needs to be aspirated to get the 1200cc of solid, reinjectable fat!  Was this done for you?  Which leads me to donor site issues.  How do they look on you? Are they still full and smooth, or have they been deflated and become irregular by the previous liposuction?  Chances are it will be more difficult to find high quality fat in an area that now has scar tissue, and will likely lead to donor site deformities after a second harvest.

I hope that the doctor that performed this surgery on you gave you the kind of full disclosure that included the information I provided that is necessary to make a decision to have this kind of alternative surgery for breast augmentation.  I also hope that the surgeon was certified by the ABPS, and is a member of the ASAPS.  If not, you should have a thorough discussion with one before you go forward with another fat transfer.