Best Treatment for Muffin Top?

I had Lapband gastric banding and have lost 90 pounds. I feel wonderful but have a muffin top. My problem is the loose skin around my waist, not the tummy. Everywhere else looks wonderful. Exercise only makes my legs and butt get smaller. What is the best procedure for this?

Treatment for loose skin after weight loss

+2

Dear Nanturman,

Congratulations on your weight loss! Most patients are a candidate for a body lift after significant weight loss, but in your case, you are describing skin laxity of the lateral thigh and buttock region and not the tummy. To address this, a lateral thigh lift and buttock lift with remove excess skin in these regions and tighten your waist line. I refer to this as a posterior body lift, and often offer it to patients who have lost weight after having already had a tummy tuck.

Muffin top treatment

+1

Congratulations on what you've accomplished and thank you for the question.

Treatment of the stubborn muffin top involves excision (lipectomy) of excess skin and adipose tissue. Liposuction  surgery alone  will potentially leave you with loose skin and an  unsatisfactory result.

Although not relevant in your case, patients who are undergoing a standard tummy tuck procedure  should be aware however that often an “extended” tummy tuck is necessary to treat the muffin top area. This extended tummy tuck procedure involves flank and back skin and adipose tissue excision as well as liposuction surgery. If liposuction alone is done the patient may still end up with the muffin top and require further surgery to improve the waistline in the future.

Make sure you're working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Liposuction and muffin top

+1

It appears that you would benefit from surgical excision of the excess skin along the hips and waist.  Liposuction alone may worsen the problem but may be used in conjunction with a tuck.

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction not good for muffin top.

+1

Hi.

Just going by your description, I don't think liposuction will help you.  You need a body lift, with circumferential skin removal around your abdomen, your sides, and your back.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Muffin top after massive weight loss probably best addressed with buttock and thigh lift

+1

Your weight loss would indicate that your muffin top is most likely excess or redundant skin and not localized fat.

Therefore, it would be my guess, that your best correction would be achieved via a buttock and thigh lift to reduce skin around the posterior waist line.

Muffin top after weight loss

+1

A muffin top is usually excess skin that remaind after weight loss. Liposuction will not improve this problem and may make it worse. The best treatment is skin excision.