Mucus buildup in chest (wet cough) from previous chest cold: OK to have general anesthesia for blepharoplasty surgery?

I'm a smoker, when I get a cold it goes to my chest and lingers. I know I'm supposed to quit smoking before surgery but that's not going to happen. If I could quit I would have done so for my lungs & not for my eyelids. I will cut down but the phlegm I have is what worries me for general anesthesia. I have 1 month before surgery, may be gone by then, if not, should I postpone surgery? When should I mention it to my surgeon or is this a question for the anesthesiologist? Otherwise healthy patient.

Smoker, productive cough, general anesthesia

+1
I would recommend you mention it to your surgeon now in advance. Your scarring may be worse, the coughing may cause an increase risk of certain complications, and anesthesia complications may increase.

Norwalk Plastic Surgeon