Breasts Have Still Not Settled 7 Months Post-Op Breast Augmentation, Are they Likely to at this Point?

My doctor kept telling me at every visit after my operation that my breasts would fall into place but unfortunately they have not ;( My breasts look like they are sitting very high and they out of place. Especially for my right breast, it is still very hard and I feel discomfort at times. I finally met my surgeon again for a second follow-up after 2weeks and now he is finally suggesting that I might have a contractual.... forgot the word. Im so bummed and disappointed. It has been a nightmare

Implant position 7 months after breast augmentation

+2

Dear Ms. Gidgett, it is difficult to comment on your results without before and after photos.  However, it takes about 2-3 months for the implants to "settle" in their pocket after breast augmentation.  Since you are 7 months out from your surgery, it is unlikely that a further change/settling will occur at this time.  If your right implant is firm and located higher than your left implant, you may indeed have capsular contracture.  If you have a capsular contracutre, you will need a revision surgery; you will need removal of the capsule (capsulectomy) and exchanging that implant.

Breast implant revision necessary?

+1

Thank you for the question.  Unfortunately, it is not possible to give you good advice without direct examination.  based on your description however it may be that you are experiencing problems with encapsulation. This process of excessive scar tissue formation around the implant  may be responsible for the “hardness and discomfort” as well as implant malposition.

I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon to communicate your questions and concerns. Revisionary surgery may be come necessary:  this surgery must also be done carefully to avoid recurrent episodes of encapsulation ( if indeed this is the culprit).

Breast changes after augmentation

+1

I tell my patients that it usually takes 2-3 months for the implants to settle in place.  this can be improved with massage,  taping, breast straps.   

beyond this time it becomes less likely for the implants to settle

Too high after BA

+1

I think it's too early. Check with your surgeon first but try massaging the implants downward several times daily. There are also some bandeaus (elastic straps) that can help. Take some Vitamin E to reduce the scar tissue. Give it 3 months.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Breast implants high and hard likely a problem

+1

If the breast implants are high and hard seven months after breast augmentation, the question is are they symmetrical in position and feel or not?  

1. If one implant has softened and lowered but the other is hard and uncomfortable it is likely that a capsular contracture has occurred.
  2. If both implants initially softened but then hardened it is possible (but unlikely) that a capsular contracture happened on both sides.
  3. If both implants look and feel the same as they did since surgery, but they are high and hard, there may be a technical problem with the surgery.

If the outcome of breast augmentation is not satisfactory after seven months, it is likely that a revision is necessary.

Mario Diana, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Bummed following breast augmentation

+1

If your implants have been persistently "too high" from the immediate post op phase until now you probably need a revision of your breast implant pocket.  Photos would help but would not replace someone examining you.  Follow up with your original surgeon or get a second opinion if you feel that your concerns are not being addressed.  Best wishes 

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants still too high

+1

Implants will settle and shape into  the lower breast as the skin envelope relaxes. If the pocket is wrong, or the implants too large they can appear too high and project in the upper part of the breast. This is not capsular contracture which occurs months to years after breast implants. Revision can help you to a better result.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast implant capsular contracture

+1

Breast implants usually settle into position 2-3 months after surgery.  They are not supposed to be hard or uncomfortable.  Capsular contracture is a possibilty with breast augmentation surgery and this problem can prevent implants from dropping properly and can create excessive firmness and discomfort.  Revision surgery is typically required to improve this problem.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants under the muscle have a lower rate of capsular contracture

+1

If your implants are 'hard and high,' it is probably unlikely that they will drop after seven months. A capsular contracture if firm scar tissue around the implant which squeezes the implant, making it hard. It is common for capsular contractures to push implants up or prevent them from dropping.  Implants under the muscle have a lower risk of contracture and saline implants have a lower risk than silicone.

If your implants are on top of the muscle, you may want to consider putting them under the muscle if you have to have surgery to correct your problem.  If they are under the muscle, just opening the lower portion of the pocket, making it larger and allowing your implants to drop may correct the problem.  Sometimes this can be performed in an office OR with local anesthesia and mild sedation. Good luck; I hope that you find an easy fix.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

+1

All the expert posters agree you have an issue. Best to discuss with your surgeon and/or obtain second opinions. Sounds like you need revision surgery Sorry.