Will Taking an MSM Supplement Affect Restylane Injections to Tear Troughs?

I received Restylane injections to my tear troughs one week ago and am thrilled with the results. I would like them to last as long as possible. To that end, I am interested in doing anything I can to prolong and maximize the effect of the injections, as well as to build new collagen and improve the quality of the skin in that area overall. Will MSM supplements (with Vit. C) help to build more collagen in this area? Is there any way they could ADVERSELY affect the results of Restylane? Thanks!

Restylane injections do not work by building collagen in the area

+2

Supplements will not affect your Restylane injections in either a positive or negative way. Fillers such as Restylane & Juvederm are made of hyaluronic acid, a natural component of the skin that forms part of the extracellular matrix of the dermis and provides support for other tissues. They do not really work by building new collagen. Hyaluronic acid is the fluid matrix that provides stabilization to the intercellular spaces that contain collagen and elastic fibers. Hyaluronic acid has the capacity to bind large quantities of water and keeps the skin firm and moisturized. The mechanical stretching of the skin at the site of the Restylane injection will cause a minimal amount of new collagen to form.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Not going to harm the results.

+1

On the other hand, there is no reason to think that it will in anyway extend your treatment benefits.

MSM and Restylane

+1

MeggieB,

There is no reason to believe that MSM will make your Restylane injection last longer.  However, it should have no adverse effect on your outcome either.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon