MS and Botox

If I Have Ms Can I Still Get Botox I Had It Since 1975 

Multiple Sclerosis and Botox

+1

In general Botox is not given to people with neuromuscular diseases.  However, on a case-by-case basis you may be able to get Botox to treat spastic or overly contracted muscles.  You may also be able to get Botox for cosmetic reasons.  Discuss this with your neurologist, because that is the person who best knows the specifics of your condition.  If you get the OK from your neurologist then you may get Botox treatments.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

MS and Botox

+1

I have used Botox on a few MS patients once they got clearance from their Neurologist.  You should check with yours.

Botox and MS

+1

I have had two patients whose neurologists approved for them, the use of cosmetic botox despite their history of MS.  It depends possibly on the neurologist and the nature of that particular person's MS. The neurologist should be asked and their decision should guide the Botox injector.

Ronald Shelton, MD

If I had MS, I would not get Botox

+1

Because we do not know the cause of MS and because it is still considered to be an autoimmune disease of sorts that could possibly be triggered by something in our environment, I would not get Botox for cosmetic reasons if I had MS.  In fact, if my patient or their family members have alot of autoimmune diseases, I will usually discourage them from seeking treatment with Botox--just not worth it when we don't know what is causing these horrible autoimmune things.

Cheryl Eberting, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologist

Ms and botox

+1

This question depends on where you are getting the neurotoxin and for what purposes. Neuromuscular disease is a contraindication- and I would likely not inject you with neurotoxin with this history.

Purvisha Patel, MD
Germantown Dermatologist

Botox may be a good option even with a history of MS

+1

As I know that you are aware, MS is a disease that we are still learning about why it occurs and why it acts differently in different patients. Some patients with MS develop muscular spasticity in their limbs or more rarely in their bladder that Botox has been used to try and improve. I have used Botox Cosmetic in many patients with MS after we discuss the risks and benefits.

Although there is no direct link between a Cosmetic Botox treatment and worsening of one of these degenerative diseases, studies have not been done to examine every possible scenario. The cause of MS (degeneration of the myelin around nerves) is not a described effect of Botox Cosmetic treatments and it has not been shown to worsen the disease. After a thorough consultation with your MD, you can decide together if the potential benefits of a Cosmetic Botox treatment out weigh the known risks.

Good luck

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Botox and multiple sclerosis

+1

Non-cosmetic botox treatments are used for muscle spasticity in multiple sclerosis.  To use it for cosmetic purposes

Botox has a relative contraindication for people with neuromuscular diseases, that means it's up to the judgement of the physician injecting you as to whether the benefits of the Botox injections outweigh the risks.

In either way, this must be approached cautiously not to worsen any weakness already present, but it has been done previously without adverse effects.

Make sure the doctor injecting you knows of your condition.  You can get an OK from your neurologist for Botox cosmetic injections, and make sure the doctor injecting you is either a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with training and experience with Botox.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon