MRSA Staph at Lipo Incision Site, is This Common? Why Would this Happen?

Hi I had lipo to my back and flanks and a tummy tuck 4 weeks ago. Last week I went to my ps because (on my back the two incision site where they went in to do lipo) begin leaking. In addition to that I had terrible back pain and the area was swollen. I knew something was wrong because after I had lipo to my back that pain went left. My ps took samples and put me on meds. Results came back a week later and it was mrsa. The lipo incision site turned into a staph is this common or deadly.

MRSA after lipo

+1

MRSA can be a seriuous infection and it sounds like your PS is on it. the reasons are hard to figure out. assuming the surgery went well with out any issues, MRSA will most likely come from your own skin. more and more MRSA is found in the community. if you work in a healthcare setting, frequent hospitals, nursing homes or other places where antibiotics and sick people are found then you may be colonized.  there are some precautions you need to take before having surgery again and make sure you tell your doctor's about your history.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

MRSA infection after liposuction

+1

For reasons which are poorly understood, liposuction seems to have very low infection rates though there are some notable exceptions. MRSA is very uncommon, and it used to be hospital aquired, but now we have an increasing number of community aquired MRSA infections. Four weeks is late for a surgically acquired infection, but the risks with this bug are high. Your surgeon will coordinate a treatment plan for this unfortunate complication.