I Had a MRI Needle Biopsy of my Right Breast. They Needed to Implant a Titanium Metal Piece and I Now Have a Hematoma There ?

Hello the MD asked for a MRI needle biopsy to be done after seeing something suspicious in my right breast. Luckily the results were negative. She implanted a titanium metal clip underneath my breast for future sonograms and MRI's. However, now i have a large hematoma at the 12:00 position underneath my breast. MD says its ok and that it takes time to heal. Its only a month now. Its very hard feels like a rock and when i press against it i feel pain. Should this be concerning to me?

Hematoma after a breast biopsy

+2

WIthout an exam, it is difficult to say, but if you have a hematoma that has not resolved, you should get it checked out.

Hematoma From Biopsy

+2

Eventually, it will resolve on its own. If it gets organized (if scar tissue grows into that), then it may become a permanent mass.  If the mass is causing discomfort, in very few occasions, surgical removal might become required. But that will add additional scarring in your breast. You have the following options:

1. Do nothing but conservative measures and await spontaneous resolution of the hematoma. This will be advisable if the hematoma is getting smaller in size and it is becoming less symptomatic/causing less discomfort. 

2. Ultrasound of the breast and if air fluid level is seen, then drainage under ultrasound guidance can be attempted. Although this is unlikely 1 month after the procedure.

Good luck.

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma

+1

Have a sonogram of the hematoma. If there is a collection of blood then you need to drain it, either surgical or through a sonogram guided catheter.

If the blood is clotted, then it will be difficult to drain through a catheter or needle.