MRI Confirms Herniated Breast Implant. Can't Find a Surgeon to Fix & Replace Implants

Implants under muscle,from a B to DD, 1999. 3 years later started with sharp stabbing pain, shortness of breath, Numbness left arm, all signs of heart of attack. years of tested showing I have strong heart. As my implant moved more to the lateral side, pushing through the scare tissue now sitting on the skin wall. 2009 MRI confirmed the Herniated implant. Still unable to find a surgeon who has history of repairing muscle hernias from breast implants. Along with putting new implants in. Help?

Revision Breast Surgery?

+1

It sounds like you are dealing with a breast implant malposition problem.

It is possible (with high likelihood of success) to correct implant malposition problems of all kinds with capsulorrhaphy techniques that are performed correctly.  

There is a learning curve with this operation and I recommend that you seek consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon with significant experience treating these problems. You may find the link attached below helpful.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastrevision.htm

Silicone breast implatn rupture and spread into muscle: removal and replace

+1

A muscle hernia is not a true diagnosis but I assume your MRI shows that your silicone has leaked beyond the capsule, into and through the muscle . In general this will require removal of all the tissue and the involved muscle. This may require a two stage operation with the first being removal of the implants and all the silicone material as wel as much of the capsule as possible. At a second operation at least 4-6 months later, you would require breast assessment and possible reconstruciton of the breast with fat grafting.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Breast augmentation

+1

YES, it is repairable.  Fortunately, Chicago is blessed with a number of excellent plastic surgeons.  The American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons web site will provide you with the names of these individuals.

MRi and implant problem

+1

There are plenty of good plastic surgeons in the Chicago area that I am sure can help you with your problem.

This might be a leak

+1

Did the MRI report rule out the chance that your implant might be ruptured? In that case I would tackle this problem by replacing the implant with a micropolyurethane covered implant with a cohesive gel. Either it could be also placed behind the muscle after removing the old capsule, or in front of the muscle if you have sufficient breast and fatty tissue to cover it. The big advantage of this kind of implant is that the chance of developing a capsular contracture is ten times lower, and there is no risk of implant rotation or displacement. 

Belgium Plastic Surgeon

Possible Breast Implant Herniation

+1

Regarding: "MRI Confirms Herniated Breast Implant. Can't Find a Surgeon to Fix & Replace Implants
Implants under muscle,from a B to DD, 1999. 3 years later started with sharp stabbing pain, shortness of breath, Numbness left arm, all signs of heart of attack. years of tested showing I have strong heart. As my implant moved more to the lateral side, pushing through the scare tissue now sitting on the skin wall. 2009 MRI confirmed the Herniated implant. Still unable to find a surgeon who has history of repairing muscle hernias from breast implants. Along with putting new implants in. Help
?"

Anatomically speaking, the pectoralis major muscle covers only the to 20 - 30% of the implant. When "Total muscle coverage" was popular, adjacent muscles were lifted and placed on the implant, often with abnormal breast shape and gradual loss of the other elevated muscles and conversion to scar tissue. Neither one of these implant positions commonly results in implant herniation. What MAY sometimes cause it is the attempt to beak up Capsular Contracture scar tissue by formally squeezing of the breast in an attempt to crack the wall of the scar. On occasion, the scar may break but a piece of the implant may be stuck in dumbbell fashion outside the capsule. Breast Implant companies will void the implant warranty if this maneuver is used.

In your case, the condition is correctable as long as you present your plastic surgeon with all the information - copies of original operative note, make/model of implants, information on subsequent treatment and the MRI.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Herniated breast implants are a rare complication.

+1

Hi.

Just going by your description, this is not hard to fix.  The  muscle is repaired and sometimes reinforced with Alloderm.

Go to The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery website for names.

Please send pictures

+1

Please  send the MRI pictures and your breast picture for further evaluation. When you take the pictures,please put your both hand on your wait and press down to show the muscle position.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.