MRI Indicates Bilateral Rupture of my Silicone Implants, But Dr. Wants More Results. Why?

I was in an car accident 5 months ago. My front airbag deployed and my car was totaled when someone pulled out in front of me while I was going 50 MPH. I have had pain n both ever since. My surgeon ordered an MRI that indicated a biltateral rupture. He doesn't believe and wants me to get a 3D MRI. With all the cost and the fact that I have so much pain and my left implant is softer I dont' know why he doesn't believe the MRI results? He says to massage the implants and the pain should go away.

Implant rupture.

+1
 If your MRI demonstrates that you have a ruptured implant, your physician may want to obtain the films or other supporting data to make the final diagnosis. Oftentimes a report is generated without the corresponding films and it is prudent to have both prior to determining whether or not to return surgery. If your physician feels that it is unnecessary to remove the implants than it is best to have a second opinion by board-certified plastic surgeon. Good luck

Ruptured Breast Implant on MRI. What's the Next Step?

+1

The MRI and the trained eyes who read them is an extremely sensitive test to examine the breasts and breast implants. The false positive rates are extremely low. At this point you probably should have your implants either removed or replaced. Both Natrelle (formerly Inamed/McGhan) and Mentor have a life time replacement warranty on their breast implants. Although trauma is excluded it is worth asking them to reconsider. If your surgeon declines to operate you may look for a second opinion.

MRI indicates slicone implant rupture

+1

Given the history of a severe blow to the chest, the finding that the implants feel different right to left, you have had pain for five months, and the MRI indicates likely rupture, it makes sense that your implants are replaced. The additional MRI doesn't appear necessary. MRI can produce a false reading of rupture, but with the whole picture in mind replacing your implants would probably be best.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

The history and MRI are enough for implant exchange

+1

I would think that your surgeon has not noticed any physical changes and does not want to operate on you. You did not mention about the age of the implants and if there is any changes in the breast shape post surgery. I would recommend that you discuss your concerns with your surgeon and tell him/her that you will be OK if surgical exploration does not find ruptured implants. There is no reason for another MRI.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Silicone Gel Implant Rupture after Car Accident?

+1

Based on the description of your  accident, I'm very glad that you are  able to submit this question!

Also, based on the description of the significant trauma,  I'm not sure why your plastic  surgeon “doesn't believe” the results of the MRI study;  I think your history, physical examination, and the results of the MRI would be enough for me to proceed to the operating room.

There may be a reason why he wants further information;  you will have to ask him directly.

MRI Results and Ruptured Breast Implants

+1

Dear Deadsexee,

While MRIs are the most accurate imaging test currently available for ruling out implant ruptures in silicone breast implants, they are not perfect and can give a "false-positive" result at times.  Almost every plastic surgeon has had the experience of having a MRI result that is positive for an implant rupture and then finds the implant intact in the operating room.  Again, no test is 100% accurate.

Because of your concerns, please discuss your worries with your plastic surgeon including the issues of the extra costs for the additional MRI.  Other imaging options can include a high-definition, 3-D ultrasound study which has been shown in studies to be very helpful in determining is there is an implant rupture in silicone implants.  If you are still unhappy with your plastic surgeon's response, please consider a second opinion but be sure to have your MRI films or disc and results with you when you go.

I know this is a difficult and emotion time for you after you accident.  It is important to confirm your implant rupture to rule out unnecessary surgery.  Best of luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon