Will Moving of my IMF Cause Double Bubble?

I have a skilled surgeon, highly liked and recommended and board certified. they said that when doing my implant to make it fit correctly (I'm getting a Midrange 421 silicone with a breast fold incision) he said he was going to move my imf line down he said there is a chance that this could cause a double bubble type thing but he is gonna do his best to pull my muscle properly over the implant so that wont be the case. What are the chances of double bubble? and is all this common?

Double bubble after breast augmentation

+1

The fact that your plastic surgeon recognized this before surgery and is going to take every precaution to prevent it a good sign. It is the situation where the plastic surgeon doesn't recognize any potential problem, then it happens, and after surgery says I don't know how this happened that is a bad sign. It sounds as though your surgeon is experienced but I can't tell you statistically what your percent chance of getting a double bubble is or not getting one.

Double Breast Fold

+1

I believe you are seeing an experienced surgeon who is giving you good cautionary advice.  This can happen if you have a tight breast fold.  Using a breast band postop and a cutout bra can help expand a tight fold if you find you have a slight" double bubble."  All the best !  Dr. Joe

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Double bubbles

+1

A double bubble is more likely to form when the fold is changed.  This can also occur more commonly in patients with tight lower poles and large implants.  Unless there is a significant discrepancy of the folds, I do not like to move the fold.

Moving the IMF and double bubble

+1

We can't answer your questions without photos.  You are at most risk for a double bubble if the lowering of the IMF is being done to try to avoid a breast lift or if your fold is really, really tight.  If you get a double bubble, revision surgery can usually correct it.  It sounds like your surgeon is being really honest in discussing this risk with you.  Good for him/her!

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Breast Augmentation, Double Bubble

+1

Lowering the IMF certainly has a chance to create the double bubble necessating more surgery to correct it. Also, I'm worried that you may have a misunderstanding of the muscle. It always ends at or more commonly above the IMF and it is not possible to "pull it down".  It usually works out better to go with an appropriate sized implant for your anatomy coupled with a dual plane pocket. this allows the muscle coverage over the upper pole to create pressure against the lower pole skin and over several monthws may actaully stretch is slightly removing the need for a release of the IMF. If that does not get the look you like it is much easier to go ack later and release the IMF than to try and correct a double bubble. I think it might be wise to get a second opinion, or at the very least go back to your surgeon and make sure you are clear on what he plans to do. Finally, the incision at the bottom of the breast, while common, almost always is more visible than the periareolar incision, which usually heals with a nearly incvisible scar. Having said all this in general, it's hard to tell if it applies in your case without an exam or at the least some medical quality photos.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Double Bubble Potential

+1

Lowering the fold can, but doesn't always result in a double bubble.  It really depends on your anatomy.  I find that women with tight well defined folds have more problems with double bubble and I try not to alter their folds.  You didn't say whether your folds are asymmetric.  I would ask your surgeon to explain why he believes that lowering the fold is necessary.

Donald Griffin, MD

Will moving imf down give double bubble

+1

it is difficult to say if this is the right choice for you without an examination. you can usually lower the fold by about 1cm and still have a good result. if you have ptosis or sagging then an uplift may be necessary at the time of the procedure rather than trying to over lower the fold. if you are not sure, get a second opinion before the procedure.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Chances of Double Bubble?

+1

Unfortunately, it is not possible to give you good advice without direct examination.  Also, there is no good study the documents " chances of double bubble"  with different approaches used for breast augmentation.

It sounds like you have done your due diligence  and feel comfortable that your surgeon can achieve the results you are looking for.  It may give you additional peace of mind to ask him to see several examples of patients with  similar anatomy to yours,  who have had breast augmentation through the same approach.

Personally, I prefer to use the infra areolar incision when I know that I have to adjust the inframmammary fold area ( although I realize that  every surgeon has his/her preference).

Double Bubble After Augmentation

+1

Lowering the IMF or breast crease is the most common reason to have a double bubble.  Thus, this should be done with care and only in cases where it is absolutely necessary. Just because your surgeon wants to lower the fold doesn't mean that you will have this problem, however.  I cannot give you much more information without photos - or better, an exam, but you need to understand why this needs to be done (perhaps a constricted breast) and then plan the surgery with perhaps a smaller or higher profile implant to better match your anatomy. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD