Moving to an Area More Highly Concentrated with Pollen. Will Ethnic Rhinoplasty Help my Allergies/sinus? (photo)

I love my nose but I don't want to be miserable! I also think rhinoplasty may bring more attention to my eyes. It's something my mother was concerned about before she passed, so I'm seriously considering it. Thank you for any help!

Will rhinoplasty help with allergies?

+2

A rhinoplasty alone will not help improve your allergies. If a septoplasty is necessary and also performed, then your airway will open allowing you to breathe better.  This may reduce the frequency and/or chances of a sinus infection occurring, but will not address allergies.  If you are happy with the appearance of your nose, it is possible to improve it functionally without making structural changes. But the necessity of a functional improvement really depends on the patient and the nature of any issues they may have, as an airway obstruction resulting from a deviated septum is a separate issue from a pollen allergy.  I would recommend seeking the advice of an allergist before you decide to follow through with a surgical procedure. Thank you and I hope this helps.

Rhino Allergy

+2

Rhinoplasty will not help your Allergies, but a Septorhinoplasty with Turbinate Reductions and endoscopic sinus surgery may help you.  Please contact a Facial Plastic Surgeon who also practices Head & Neck Surgery for a professional consultation.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Moving to an Area More Highly Concentrated with Pollen. Will Ethnic Rhinoplasty Help my Allergies/sinus?

+2

No, Rhinoplasty will alter the size and shape, of the nose, following the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal beauty) for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose and face.  However, Rhinoplasty does not alter the immune system which is responsible for allergic response to allergens.  You'd have to see an allergist for treatment to change your allergic response.  

Ethnic Rhinoplasty and allergy

+2

Rhinoplasty will not affect your allergy. If you have breathing problem, then septoplasty and turbinate reduction will help with that. 

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to treat allergies?

+2

A rhinoplasty will change the shape of your nose but will not change the nose's reaction to pollen and other allergens.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Rhinoplasty in Patient Who Loves Her Nose

+2

A rhinoplasty will not help your allergies or sinus problems. In fact if the surgery is not done by an experienced surgeon it could make your symptoms worse. Aseptoplasty and turbinate surgery could improve nasal function. I would never recommend a rhinoplasty in a patient who loves her nose.

Rhinoplasty will not help with allergies or sinus problems

+1

An ethnic rhinoplasty will not help allergies or sinus problems and is performed purely for cosmetic purposes, nothing functional.  Allergies and sinus problems are caused by allergens that are breathed into the nose creating a cascade of physiologic events to create the symptoms of allergies; sneezing, itchy, watery eyes, and runny nose.  Allergies are treated medically with nasal sprays, antihistamines, and decongestants.  Nasal polyps are treated surgically when medications fail to alleviate the symptoms.