Do Certain Movements Cause Breast Implants to Spread over Time?

I had my surgery done a few weeks ago under the muscle and seem to be getting told certain movements like push ups and lying on your belly spread the implants apart.

Breast augmentation and exercise

+2

My usual suggestion after submuscular breast augmentation is to avoid heavy exercise for at least three weeks. After this period, more vigorous exercise or weight lifting should not have a detrimental effect on your implant position. It is, however, best to work slowly into a more aggressive exercise regimen.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation, Breast Enlargement, Breast Implants

+2

This is a good question.  Please follow the advice of your plastic surgeon and do not do anything to affect your surgical outcome. 

Since your breast augmentation surgery was only 2 weeks ago, your should be careful not to do any exercise or lifting with your arms.  If you were my patient, I would have you avoid lifting or reaching for a few weeks.  Avoid lying on your belly or breasts for a month.  Once 4-6 weeks have passed, most of my patients can resume their exercise program and get back to normal activity.  I have several professional golfers that have resumed their game 3-4 weeks after the surgery and they had fine. 

Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants under the muscle

+1

I personallly believe that implants placed under the muscle are a disadvantage over time.

This belief was developed observing patients over time and noting implant displacement in the pocket, which I believe is due to the muscle motion against the implant. This in turn stretches the pocket and loosens the space that the implant sits in.

Over time, this leads to implants that are falling laterally or bottoming out, which is the exact opposite of what most women desire- cleavage, and upper pole fullness.

For this reason, I place silicone implants in the subglandular, subfascial plane which eliminates the muscle effect and helps to maintain a stable result over time.

Contrary to popular belief, the muscle dose not hold the implant or breast up, and in actuality it does just the opposite- pushing the implant downward and displacing it to an undesirable location.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.