Is This Normal Movement in Breast Implants? I Have A Very Thin Frame.

I had breast implants 4 years ago, since then I have had them repositioned twice and replaced completely 2 years ago. I have got rippling due to having a very small frame an no breast tissue. Just recently I have been able to move one of them to the middle of my chest or to under my arm and it doesn't move back unless I push it back. I can't do it to the other one. Is this normal? I goes completely flat on one side and very rounded on the other.

Implant pocket issues

+1

If you are having problems with your implants it is best to go for an exam and be evaluated.  Rippling sometimes can be corrected with Strattice.

Unusual motion of Implant

+1

It's a bit hard to answer your question without either seeing photos or at least knowing some specific things related to your previous surgery.  From your description it sounds like your implants are placed in the over muscle position.  In this case your implant has no strong barrier to motion centrally.  When the implant is placed under the muscle, the central attachment of the muscle to the breast-bone (sternum) prevents easy migration centrally.  I'm happy to give you more information if you can post some photographs.  Once we can define exactly what the issues are then I can better advise you of a reasonable plan for correction.

Good Luck!

...Dr. Newman

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Strattice is an option for breast implant pocket reinforcement

+1

While no one can give you definitive advice without seeing you and knowing exactly what was done with the revisions, in general when there have been multiple surgeries on a breast and the pocket is too big it means the tissue has been too thinned out. This is often related simply to the fact that there has been so much surgery in that area. An additional revision with sutures to close the pocket (capsulorrhaphy) is more likely to fail and so reinforcement with a material such as Strattice should be considered. This is especially relevant given your history of visible rippling and minimal breast tissue.

Richard Baxter, MD

Movement of breast implant

+1
You are describing a situation in which the implant pocket is stretched out, enabling the implant to shift in position. You will need revisional surgery to tighten the pocket. I think that, given your history, the risk of complication is higher than normal and that, if capsulorrhaphy is not successful, you will need to consider seriously whether you want to continue with implants or have them removed.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Pocket Enlargement and Implant Displacement

+1

Being able to move the breast implant around over such a wide area is not normal as it is beyond the ideal implant pocket. Given your history of breast implant problems and the need for revisional surgery, however, does give you pause for considering further efforts at improvement. It can be improved by closing down the sides of the pocket through additional surgery. It is not harmful that the implant can be so displaced, it is largely an aesthetic issue. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Breast Implant Displacement Problems?

+1

Based on your description, it sounds like you're experiencing breast implant displacement issues with the breast implants moving too far laterally ( to the sides of the chest wall).  This is not necessarily “normal”;  revisionary surgery to close off the breast implant pockets may be necessary/helpful (lateral capsulorraphy).

Be very careful with your plastic surgeon selection; make sure you see lots of examples of the plastic surgeon's experience helping patients with similar breast implant malposition problems.

Implants should not be able to move around

+1

It is not normal to have implants that you can move around by pushing them around.  The breast pocket (the space in which the implant sits) has been overstretched.  You need tightening of this space so that it fits more snuggly around the breast implants and prevents them from moving as you describe.  The procedure is breast augmentation revision with capsulorrhaphy.

Sincerely, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

Martin Jugenburg, MD

ABnormal Breast Implant Position

+1

In response to your question, it is NOT normal to be able to push your breast implant to the center of the chest or way to the side under your arm. This suggests the breast implant pocket was expanded too widely and no longer contains the implant in its ideal position - straight behind the nipple complex. Correcting it will require an operation with repair of the scar tissue csapsule around the implant .

Memphis, TN