Is There is Less Movement with the Breast and Nipples for Unders Than Partials?

I am about to have an uplift and ba - 365cc mod profile. My surgeon says that he will do partials but would prefer to do unders if he finds that this is possible when he is operating. Is it true that you can get better movement with breast and nipples (like a normal breast) and a better cleavage with a partials than with unders. In other words, as well as being firm, will they also bounce or will they pretty much stay fixed on the chest if the implants are placed under?

Distinguish complete submuscular versus partial submeucular versus "dual-plane" breast implants

+1

There is much confusion in the terms you are using and you must distinguish complete submuscular versus partial submeucular versus "dual-plane". Dual plane does not equal complete submuscular. The vast majority of surgeons use partial submuscular but the dual plane is becoming popular. Complete submuscular is rarely used and most commonly for breast reconstruction. It is the latter that may result in a stiffer breast

Best Position for Breast Implants

+1

Hi there-

For the vast majority of patients, the best outcomes and longevity of the results are achieved when the implants are placed in a partially submuscular position.

There are many variables within this technique, and only an experienced surgeon would know how to modify the procedure to achieve the best outcome for you, however.

Good luck!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast implant placement

+1

Partial submuscular (also known as dual-plane) is a preferred technique when compared to total submuscular. Implant position is more appropriate from an anatomic sense. Movement of the breasts is decreased a bit after augmentation, but as swelling resolves and the tissues relax, breast mobility usually returns to normal.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast movement with implants

+1

Implant augmented breasts do not move the same as unaugmented ones.  But under the muscle (partial is best as Dr. Replogle well stated) will probably move less than above the muscle.  However, above the muscle ones tend to drift into the lower pole and look like a ball in a sock. 

Also, an experienced surgeon will make all of these decisions BEFORE surgery and you should have no surprises about "what they found" after surgery.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Implant mobility

+1

Movmeent of your implants in part depend upon the type of impalnt used. If they are textured, they will not move like a smooth implant.

Plane or position of breast implants

+1

Based on many years of experience, the standard approach to breast implants today and the best overall for most situations is for the implant to be in a partial sub-muscular (sub-pectoral) position. This means the implant is below the pectoralis muscle behind the breast but the lateral side of the breast and at least part of the lower half of the breast does not have pectoralis muscle to cover the implant. The dual-plane technique releases the pectoralis muscle edge even higher up, usually to the level of the nipple so that there is no muscle coverage in the lower half of the breast. The completely sub-muscular approach to implants has been generally abandoned as impractical, unnecessary, and difficult to get proper implant positioning. 

In my opinion, the decision to do a lift (mastopexy) and the plane for the implant is properly made before the surgery and is not dependent on whether it is "possible when he is operating". There is no need to change this or decide it during surgery. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Partial Submuscular (Dual-Plane) Technique BEST

+1

In my opinion, the partial submuscular, or dual-plane technique, works the best to give you the best result.  The muscle provides good coverage over the upper portion of the implant, masking the superior pole, while the bottom is covered by breast tissue.  At three months, they should move like regular breasts, and be extremely soft.  The problem with full muscle coverage around the implant is that it often holds the implant too much, restricting the movement and not allowing it to sit in a natural position.  It is also more painful to go completely submuscular, and I generally do not recommend it.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Under the muscle breast augmentation is 'partial'

+1

When reference is made to submuscular breast augmentation, the implant is positioned such that the upper half to two thirds is covered by the large chest muscle the pectoralis. The anatomy is such that it is very unlikely that the muscle will cover the entire implant, hence submuscular breast augmentation is 'partial', especially with an implant 365cc or larger. In order for a result to be natural the implant must fit the breast hand in glove, and they must move or flow together as one, not the scenario I would imagine with an implant fully covered and held under the chest muscles. Perhaps you should talk this through with your surgeon a bit more.

peterejohnsonmd